Cleaning Concrete

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
While we were away on vacation, the plastic 1 gallon jug that I keep my KMeta solution in sprung a leak. It was smaller than a pinhole and over the course of the week, less than quarter a gallon leaked out. But the jug sat on a 2x4 on the concrete floor and as a result of the steady moisture, some mold broke out and some staining occurred. I don't really care too much about the stain, but want to be sure I do something about the mold. For obvious reasons, I don't want to use bleach or a bleach based cleaner in the winery. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it up? The entire area is less than 12" x 4", so not too much to deal with.

Exactly!! Scary thought Boatboy!
k-meta is supposed to kill stuff.

Maybe try TSP? It's used on concrete to prepare the surface for sealing, etc, I'm pretty sure:
Trisodium phosphate is the inorganic compound with the chemical formula Na₃PO₄. It is a white, granular or crystalline solid, highly soluble in water, producing an alkaline solution. TSP is used as a cleaning agent, builder, lubricant, food additive, stain remover, and degreaser. Wikipedia

If you have white vinegar on hand you could give that a try. It might even work well as a follow up or pre-treatment for the TSP since one is acid and one is alkaline. That should be enough to shock the mold in terms of extremes.

Still trying to wrap my head around how mold would form from a leak of KMETA solution on concrete. Should have killed anything it hit. Are you sure its mold and not algae?

Wait, serious question: Your k-meta solution caused mold? Whoa!

It leaked, got into and under a 2x4. I'm certain that as the sulfite levels dropped, but the moisture remained, then the mold came on. The mold itself was a silver dollar sized spot under the 2x4 on the concrete. The 12"x4" area is the entire stain.

It leaked, got into and under a 2x4. I'm certain that as the sulfite levels dropped, but the moisture remained, then the mold came on. The mold itself was a silver dollar sized spot under the 2x4 on the concrete. The 12"x4" area is the entire stain.
Mold only requires three things to grow, moisture, food, and mold spores. Once the sulfite dissipated, you were left with moist food (wood) and mold spores are everywhere. Hence, you got mold.

While we were away on vacation, the plastic 1 gallon jug that I keep my KMeta solution in sprung a leak. It was smaller than a pinhole and over the course of the week, less than quarter a gallon leaked out. But the jug sat on a 2x4 on the concrete floor and as a result of the steady moisture, some mold broke out and some staining occurred. I don't really care too much about the stain, but want to be sure I do something about the mold. For obvious reasons, I don't want to use bleach or a bleach based cleaner in the winery. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it up? The entire area is less than 12" x 4", so not too much to deal with.
After you scrub and cleanse with TSP or ??, you might try setting a work light directed towards the stain. My short-standing work light gets very hot on high. The heat should help to kill mold, algae or whatever! I recently discovered a water leak from one of my dehumidifiers, and judging by the amount of mold buildup I would say it had been leaking for a long while. I directed my work light on the area for a couple of days, scrubbed floor and log walls (concrete between logs) with bleach water and it was good as new after a second application of heat after the bleaching.......just a thought.........................................................Dizzy

Latest posts

Back