Cleaning carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you both, will get one picked up.

@wineforfun pick up an extra set of the pads too, mine are getting frayed edges after close to 2 years. I think that I run the drill too fast....

TWD

@wineforfun pick up an extra set of the pads too, mine are getting frayed edges after close to 2 years. I think that I run the drill too fast....

TWD

Thanks for the heads up. I will see how it goes with the first set. I ordered it a few hours ago from the company.
I don't use 3-5 gal. carboys that often so I would assume it will last quite awhile.

I didn't ask earlier though, how does everyone store it when not using it? In a container? a bag? loose in a bucket? etc.

The carboy cleaner- I just let it dry on the shelf prior to next use.

Keep it simple stupid - sorry the KISS method

What the pump man said! I put mine on my rack to dry and then keep it with my racking canes to just keep the dust off.

Another cleaning question: I had an apple wine in a one gallon glass carboy for several months. When I racked it off there was a ring left at the level of the wine. I got all the crud out, but this ring is persistent. I put in b-brite and shook the heck out of it. I used a bristle brush, but cant get any leverage on the bristles to do more than pass over the ring. I have used the cloth brush that goes on a drill. The ring is still there. Any suggestions?

Another cleaning question: I had an apple wine in a one gallon glass carboy for several months. When I racked it off there was a ring left at the level of the wine. I got all the crud out, but this ring is persistent. I put in b-brite and shook the heck out of it. I used a bristle brush, but cant get any leverage on the bristles to do more than pass over the ring. I have used the cloth brush that goes on a drill. The ring is still there. Any suggestions?

You might consider getting and trying one of these brushes, they are closer to the kind of thing used by carwashes and can get into places that the cloth brush that goes on a drill cannot. I have tossed my old cloth brush one and bottle brushes and use this exclusively. don't know that Amazon is the cheapest place to buy it, it's just where I happened to find it a couple of years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6YR235/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You might consider getting and trying one of these brushes, they are closer to the kind of thing used by carwashes and can get into places that the cloth brush that goes on a drill cannot. I have tossed my old cloth brush one and bottle brushes and use this exclusively. don't know that Amazon is the cheapest place to buy it, it's just where I happened to find it a couple of years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6YR235/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

how does it compare to this one ? Interested to find out

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OIB3Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You might try filling it with a strong solution of unscented Oxyclean and letting it sit overnight. There's a good chance the Oxy will eat it away. Another possibility is filling it with a bleach solution and letting it soak overnight. That work for a lot of the beer folks.

Someone once told me to put rice in (with your cleaner) and when you shake it, it blasts the rings/stains out.
Haven’t ever tried, but may be worth a try.
Don’t remember exactly, but think they said a cup or two of rice with enough liquid to make a slurry, but not to much.

Latest posts

Back