Cleaning Brew keg for aging wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I have about 110L of Riesling in primary fermentation right now, thinking ahead to secondary.
I have around 15 carboys but they are all full of other wine.
I do have two 50L beer kegs available.
One is unmodified, so that's pretty simple. The other one has had some drain ports and a 1-in port for heating element soldered in.
I'm planning on cleaning both with some OxiClean, and then for the modified one, to be extra safe I'm thinking of boiling some vinegar in it to clean it. Just in case there is any residue left from the silver solder.

Number 11 bung fits in the top port perfectly, so I will have a normal three-piece airlock on them. The downside is that I can't see how clear the wine is, but I'm not too concerned about that, in a few months I will have lots of carboy's free and I can rack into those. I don't plan on actually using the drain port on the other keg, it's just a surplus one I had left over from another project. I've ordered some stainless plugs to go in those holes, as I wasn't sure I should use brass.
Any other suggestions or concerns?

I have several quartels & sextels that I use for wine, oxi-clean is good enough. I would NOT use the vinegar for a cleaning agent.
Stay with the SS plugs. I use 2" sanitary fittings on the top port (where the "spear" went).

I got this message as I was filling the kegs :)
I first used oxyclean free, let soak overnight with hot water.
I did boil some 50/50 vinegar/water yesterday, rinsed, repeated with alcohol (50/50 vodka/water), just 1L or so each time.
Rinsed and then starsan.
I just wanted to make sure the solder flux was all gone.

They make a beer stone remover that might have helped with the solder flux. I use beer kegs for my wine too. I just clean with PBW and sanitize with StarSan.

Latest posts

Back