Cleaning AIO pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently acquired an AIO pump and am enjoying it very much. Clean up is easier than my old auto siphon, because I can draw soapy water followed by fresh water through the siphon tube. But I have a question about drying the inside of the siphon tube. It takes about a week to dry inside, and I'm not sure if being wet that long would encourage anything to grow in there. So my question is what is your last step in cleaning the siphon tube. Would it hurt to draw some air through the siphon tube to dry it?

I have recently acquired an AIO pump and am enjoying it very much. Clean up is easier than my old auto siphon, because I can draw soapy water followed by fresh water through the siphon tube. But I have a question about drying the inside of the siphon tube. It takes about a week to dry inside, and I'm not sure if being wet that long would encourage anything to grow in there. So my question is what is your last step in cleaning the siphon tube. Would it hurt to draw some air through the siphon tube to dry it?
Whether for the AIO, or any other hoses, after cleaning, I hang them so they drip dry. Never had one stay wet for long at all, but if yours take a week to dry, definitely consider additional efforts.

I had the same issue... I now hang the hose and put one end of the hose opening, perpendicular to the face of a small fan... a little goes thru it, not much, but enough so that it dries in a couple of hours. I then coil and put it in a gallon ziplock and back in my "wine box" where I store all my equipment (a big clear plastic box, so I can see thru it to find the stuff I need). Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was considering doing a final rinse of the siphon tube with Kmeta solution before letting it dry.

I put the filler end of the hose into a gallon jug and suck hot water through until it overfills and sucks into the over fill bottle.
I then do the same with one step and the same
with kmeta then I let them hang dry.

I do the overflow method because it helps clean the pressure relief valve and hoses.

Had a spare aquarium air pump laying around - not any more. I plug all my hoses into it, swap them out as they dry. Usually squirt distilled water into them and pour out to prevent spots. Air pump I have has a dual chamber so I can do two at a time.

on tubing, 1) if it doesn't dry well I run some grain alcohol through with a chaser of air 2) on large sizes as 1/4 or 3/8 it hangs from a nail on the ceiling to drip dry, 3) like Mike some of the skinny stuff I will rinse with water (no soap) then blow air through, (I do not have an oil lubricated pump so I am not concerned about oil) 4) groady stuff as elderberry goo gets replaced, (I heat form lots of fittings out of polyethylene tube)

Latest posts

Back