Cleaners Compared

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are One-Step, Easy-Clean, and B-Brite the same product with different names?

I have used Easy-Clean for 2 years for cleaning (StarSan for sanitizing) and it works well. But, it takes a long time to dissolve.

Thanks for any insights!
Mark

All three of those are alkaline percarbonate based cleaners that yield hydrogen peroxide when combined with water, there are some slight differences in formulation in that some include small amounts of chelating additives. I use Oxyclean free (unscented), which is also alkaline percarbonate based. I always follow these cleaners with thorough rinsing and an acidic sanitizer.

This is a good question because they seem similar. You could include Oxyclean Free. And they are similar to PowderedBreweryWash as well. For cleaning closed containers where brushes don't really go, I prefer PBW, but I'm not sure why. All are really good products.

It dissolves and works better in warm water. I use PBW and Oxyclean Free. Kind of interchangeably. But I have a slight irrational preference for PBW. Before putting anything away, It gets washed/scrubbed in one of these and then rinsed like crazy. Great chemistry. Despite the old time OxyClean TV ads, it really is a superior product.

I use sodium hydroxide and a low temperature detergent for cleaning followed by citric acid + sulfites for sanitation. If the parts fit in a sink, I soak them in iodophor for the sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back