CJJ Berry question.. Carrot Wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
I am going to use the carrot wine recipe in berrys First Steps In Winemaking book. Calls for 4 oz of concentrate... I dont have any concentrate. Any thoughts?

He states you can substitute a half pound of raisins per gallon of water just not sure when to add to them...

Thanks
Chris
Dirty Dog

try this recipe
for 1 gallon for 6 just X6
I have not made it but, someone gave this to me
Winemaking Ingredients: Carrot Wine Recipe - Wine Making Guides
4 lbs / 1,800 grams carrots
2 lbs / 900 grams sugar
3/4 lb / 340 grams sultanas (rasins)
Juice of two lemons
Wine yeast

Winemaking Method: Carrot Wine Recipe - Wine Making Guides
Boil the carrots and simmer until soft and strain on to the sugar. Stir in the sultanas and lemon juice. When the liquid in lukewarm, add the yeast. Cover and leave for seven days, stirring twice daily.

Using a fine sieve strain the liquid into a demijohn using an airlock to seal the jar. Store in a warm place and allow the fermentation to work itself out. When fermentation has ceased, rack the wine into a clean jar and place in a cooler environment and leave for a further few months. When the wine is clear and stable (approximately six months) siphon into bottles.

Well, my first batch of country wine is fermenting away.. Started it two day ago, added yeast to must yesterday and just 30 hour later the air lock is bubbling like a mad man. Used Lalvin 1116 and sg was 1126 so it will be on the strong side I am hoping. Or else im going to have a very sweet wine...

Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog,
Thats almost 17%. I hope you don't wind up with rocket fuel and no flavor.

Ya I agree. not that much in carrots. I hope i'm wrong.

Well, my first batch of country wine is fermenting away.. Started it two day ago, added yeast to must yesterday and just 30 hour later the air lock is bubbling like a mad man. Used Lalvin 1116 and sg was 1126 so it will be on the strong side I am hoping. Or else im going to have a very sweet wine...

Dirty Dog

It won't be a sweet wine..it will ferment out to dry at approx 17%, which will be far too high an alcohol for a fruit wine and then you will backsweeten to taste.

If you are only two days into ferment I would suggest you water it down a bit... 1.080 to 1.085 is a good SG range for this style of wine. You can add flavour and sweetness when it is finished.

However you did say you are hoping it will be higher in alcohol anyway, we are only giving advice based on our own taste in alcohol, let us know how it turns out for you ..

Allie

I t will be a year before I truely know how it turns out.. I was looking for high alcohol wine part of the reason I made this batch.. This is the recipe I used: (I did add an extra 1/2 gallon of water and 1/2 pound of sugar to make sure i had enough to fill carboy properly)

Carrots 15lbs
wheat 2.25lbs
sugar 9lbs
lemons 6
Oranges 6
raisins 1.5 lbs(chopped)
water 3
yeast and nutrient

Boiled carrots for about 20 min. added carrot water to sugar, wheat, lemons, oranges, raisins, mixed well, let cool, added pectic, waited 24hrs added half yeast nutrient and yeast. Stiring daily for 15 days, straining and racking into carboy for about 6 months.. Might rack again in 3 months..

Just racked for the second time today. Added a tablet. Wanted to say, I thought it tasted great... Want to update yall..

I started 5 gallons the other day. Same basic recipe.Bubbles very happy!!! I tasted it when giving it a little stir. The taste has already changed from carrot to a rich full body. I've heard that if you let it age long enough it is more like a sherry. Only time will tell. Smells great!!

Latest posts

Back