CJJ Berry "First Steps in Winemaking"- why are some of the recipes marked with an asterisk * ?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

JPatrickNH

Junior
Reaction score
CJJ Berry "First Steps in Winemaking"- why are some of the recipes marked with an asterisk * ? Any ideas please, Thanks , Patrick

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Hi Patrick - and welcome. You write that "some" of the recipes are marked with an asterisk... which ones are not marked? In my copy every recipe is so marked.

JPatrickNH

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Patrick - and welcome. You write that "some" of the recipes are marked with an asterisk... which ones are not marked? In my copy every recipe is so marked.
Dear Bernard, Tks and I had one of his original versions of "First Steps in WineMaking" from ~ 1960's and am also looking at a 2002 reprint.
Original copy fell apart but both versions were pretty close.

Example April
* Agrimony Wine (medium)
Bees wine ( no*)
* Primrose wine
Gorse wine (no star)
Coltsfoot wine ( no star)
*Dandelion wine
*Famhouse & raisin wine
*Tea Wine
Rhubarb Wine

Maybe it's just an editorial quirk or error . I have gone through both book versions and never been able to spot why some recipes are marked with the * .
Makes no difference but I was just intrigued.
Just made 25 litres rhubarb (medium) according to CJJ Berry and am sure it will be acceptable this year as it has been over the last ~ 20 years of wine making.
Regds, Patrick Haxell

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Ok... I wonder if the asterisk refers to previously published recipes where he has "adjusted" the recipe for this book..? My copy is falling apart too. But this is a good question and not something that is made clear in the copy I have.

Latest posts