Cilantro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmas

Junior
Reaction score
Good Day All,
I am making a Pineapple/Mango wine per Danger Dave's Dragon Blood recipe. I had the idea of adding a Cilantro flavor to it. Does anybody have any experience with adding fresh herb flavors to wine. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

your wine your choice. Cilantro can sometimes taste like soap to me...not a taste I want in my wines.

Also....I have on a couple occasions taken one step to many, or as in this case, one ingredient, to beers. What sounds awesome winds up just a muddy mass of flavors....just didn't work. Now your pineapple mango sounds great...cilantro, not so much...TO ME.

maybe a couple of bottles with a sprig of cilantro inside....start slow and small.

As @Mismost said: your wine, your choice. I personally love cilantro, but it can be a rather polarizing flavor/aroma. People either love it or hate it. Thinking of it in this wine, though, brings me from thinking of a fresh tropical beverage with the pineapple/mango, to a salsa with the cilantro added. As was suggested, cork up a bottle or fill a mason jar with some and let it sit for a couple weeks. Then try it. Who knows, you might be on to something completely amazing. If not, you've only lost a small amount.

We have a salsa like that at home that we love, but I don't think I'd enjoy a wine with those flavors. That's the beauty of experimenting though. Your wine, your time, your call.

I agree with Jim that it would be good to start small, both in amount of flavor and volume flavored. I over spiced a pumpkin beer before. No, genius, it didn't need more cinnamon. It took about 2 years before I could even start to drink that one.

Good Day All,
I am making a Pineapple/Mango wine per Danger Dave's Dragon Blood recipe. I had the idea of adding a Cilantro flavor to it. Does anybody have any experience with adding fresh herb flavors to wine. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I recently bottled my Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine. All three fruits have flavor affinity for each other, so I would definitely recommend using lime juice instead of lemon juice in this case.

The wine is extremely popular with those that have tried it.

ow0yj-q52w1qxagnURJi-9ez6HVP7coaP8PAmxce4XbIQawPaukM2uzIy_oV5kwx2jxIW72WWh8aNGKi4HbqoTJIcLL4smTOJpI3cSxs2r_d7nAq0I63dvuAJAd8f4JgHMs1oIQm-EjoBZQeibJlaJ2LxxOOIcNTLSsTl0zkyc2vBEz2UiXL0WuNGKwd44IonoYDCHpkshBbVGTdMvp0nqCAnKa3hzcBJs_d7A4jKO6GPgL4ruwCnyYtOtKzfhokqpxMDooDGumK1O781ECwL8-eIqrXyT2uqcFbvIBkc7rJ72wXLvm6gSpWn5DOH27GWOy68XMVz5hwxj9O9Em1ooD64Tis4onhXfoSTQRyoLA64Ckctk5INLyIIujcsIJTu4Z97PzwMJm4xh4YRi_O4btPSZcC_jOQSdce6I83cMXy_B_RXMdrYXvXpW2swJCPB5kX0Ev4sZTsznZyuc0FrgdB8txHQruad0DAlAucQDWKcdT7QfClDsdI7JzgpV60tX6axoWrnQgP8KxktIdBIT2ab7o8drnBE7KIchmANj6VVJEbacKVXzmYjz4_B4t6MTA-vakwG7-jtsS1Wl07fCZT7CPuVo3bDOwroNp2KROC-P0CqAyyFdycsrwFByRdvOO9TzPXcaf3l7LIyX5pNkHMNu_brAYzv3YgxjTskYY=w578-h770-no

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. The small batch seems to be the way to go. I grow Cilantro in the garden so I have an abundance of it. I am thinking about mashing it in a strainer bag and letting it bulk age in a gallon. Dave, great minds think alike :)

Back