Chromatography questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orto

Reaction score
I have some questions after doing the chromatography on some wines.
1 From left to right the first 2 look just about done right?

2 the third is a cider I made last fall, it looks like it did a spontaneous MLF I used UV pasteurized cider from a local cider mill. Where did it get the MLB?

3 two on the right are Italian juice buckets fermented with the skins from one of the other batches. The brand is Imperial Must or something like that, I don't have the buckets here with me right now. They look like they are undergoing MLF before I inoculated them. Did it pick up MLB from the skins?

Thanks Dave

_DSC2422_1.JPG

_DSC2421_1.JPG

I have some questions after doing the chromatography on some wines.
1 From left to right the first 2 look just about done right?

2 the third is a cider I made last fall, it looks like it did a spontaneous MLF I used UV pasteurized cider from a local cider mill. Where did it get the MLB?

3 two on the right are Italian juice buckets fermented with the skins from one of the other batches. The brand is Imperial Must or something like that, I don't have the buckets here with me right now. They look like they are undergoing MLF before I inoculated them. Did it pick up MLB from the skins?

Thanks Dave

Answering your questions in order,

Yes, the first two look to be done, there appears to be no malic

When you say cider, I assume apple cider, apples contain lots of malic, and since none is present, I would guess that MLF proceeded, but can't say where the bacteria came from. Assuming the pasteurizing process removed it prior to fermentation, it could have been in your vessel, transferred on your stirring spoon, no way to know.

I can't say from the chromo that the last two are undergoing MLF, but subsequent tests will tell you as the malic spot disappears. Again, if it is present, no way to know exactly where it came from......

I inoculated them with ch16 after I drew the sample for the test, I'll test those 2 again in 3 weeks or so.

I'm a little concerned there is wild MLB all over the house. the reason I tested the apple cider is because it tasted soft and not very cidery. when I saw lactic acid in the 2 bucket batches I started getting concerned that its in everything.

Thanks

I inoculated them with ch16 after I drew the sample for the test, I'll test those 2 again in 3 weeks or so.

I'm a little concerned there is wild MLB all over the house. the reason I tested the apple cider is because it tasted soft and not very cidery. when I saw lactic acid in the 2 bucket batches I started getting concerned that its in everything.

Thanks

I've never done apple before, so don't have anything really to share with you there, but I gotta tell you, it was really strange to see chromo results with no tartartic acid present. I guess apples just don't have much if any. I wonder what the pH of the apple is since you have nothing but lactic in there. Does it need tartaric? Should it have some malic in there? I don't know. Maybe someone who knows apple really well can tell you how to deal with it.

I finished the keg this weekend anyway it was mostly just curiosity at this point. It was a really simple cider. I just dumped the juice in a fermenter with rehydrated cote de blanc, after 3 days I added fremaid k. I left it alone until it was done, then kegged and carbed. This batch always tasted soft and watery. I don't think apples have tartaric acid at all, just malic and some ascorbic.

Latest posts

Back