Christmas ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps we women wine-makers are just lurkers here - listening and learning!
Come out of the shadows, participate! 🙂

In my experience this forum is gender neutral -- I have not seen the childish jackassery that is common on gaming forums. It's a pleasant change, and results in my spending online time here rather than in forums for my other hobbies.

If someone starts a thread to determine how many women are on this forum, count me as one of the few
Start one! That would make an interesting survey.

So....my kids always ask what I want for Christmas. I’m new to wine making. So, what’s a good gift idea to tell them?
three possible personality directions
* a kit that they would enjoy drinking with you’all (the end/ celebration is the important part)
* a pH meter, a digital scale good for 0.01gm and a gift certificate for chemicals needed to let you cook up your own mix (hands on, you play with your food)
* The New Cider Maker’s Handbook by Claude Jolicoeur (you are cerebral and ask why a system works, ex how to balance flavor to make a country wine, or what organism causes a fermentation infection and how to cure it, or how to calculate load in a press as well as calculate and test for a hundred other things)

Come out of the shadows, participate! 🙂

In my experience this forum is gender neutral -- I have not seen the childish jackassery that is common on gaming forums. It's a pleasant change, and results in my spending online time here rather than in forums for my other hobbies.

Start one! That would make an interesting survey.
I am afraid that I am technologically-challenged!! Wouldn't know how to do that or I would................................DizzyIzzy

When we had a winemakers club here in Banbury, two of the best winemakers were women. Not only that they were good tasters too. Generally speaking, I think women are far better tasters than most men, and that includes me.
Supposedly women have a better sense of smell than men -- my wife is proof of that as she'll quickly pick up smells long before I do.

A former girlfriend taught me more about wine appreciation than everything else combined. Her sense of smell was just short of amazing.

My wife got me one of those "Wine Tastes" kits for Christmas a few years ago, hundreds of vials of both pleasant and off odors, to help us with identification of the many tastes / aromas in winemaking. Of course, it turned into a competition rather quickly. We split into two teams, me, my son and step-son were one team, my wife and two daughters were the other team. As a long time wine drinker and having been making wine for years, I was sure that my presence on the boys team would be an unfair advantage. They beat the living hell out of us, identifying correctly the smells at a rate of 3 to 1 better than we did. At least in my family, the ladies have better aroma perception / identification hands down...................how very humbling.

Hats off to all of our female winemakers!!!!!!!!!

I also had favorite coworkers all of which happened to be gals who could rank 1% changes in high cost ingredient vs a lower cost substitute ,,,
Supposedly women have a better sense of smell than men -- my wife is proof of that as she'll quickly pick up smells long before I do.
, , , , honey, , I didn’t do anything today, I don’t need to take a shower:sm

I am afraid that I am technologically-challenged!! Wouldn't know how to do that or I would................................DizzyIzzy
Go to the forum you want to start a new message. At the top of the messages should have one that says "thread title" put your title there and the message underneath. Arne. @DizzyIzzy

Latest posts

Back