Choosing the Right Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

Reaction score
I am trying to make a Blackberry wine with 12-13% ABV. I went with Red Star Premier Classique (Montrachet). I now believe that this was a bad choice because of it's reported 13% alcohol tolerance. Am I correct?

But another characteristic of Montrachet is that it needs ample nutrients, or it can produce H2S. I don't have any knowledge about whether blackberries typically have sufficient nutrients, but beware!
Sour-grapes makes a good point. If you have some Fermaid-K or other yeast nutrient on hand you may want to add some per directions.

Sour-grapes makes a good point. If you have some Fermaid-K or other yeast nutrient on hand you may want to add some per directions.

Thanks. My additives are (1 gallon):
  • ¼ tsp Tannin;
  • ½ tsp Pectic Enzyme;
  • ½ tsp Acid Blend;
  • ½ tsp Yeast Nutrient (Urea + Diammonium Phosphate);
  • ¼ tsp Yeast Energizer.

Last edited:
Add another addition of yeast nutrient (1/2 tsp) around day 4 of fermentation. SG of 1.050 or below. This will keep the Montrachet yeast healthy and active to help them ferment out to dry. Just make sure that you mix it with a sample of the wine first and then slowly add it back to your gallon. This will help avoid a boil over effect.

Latest posts

Back