Choke Cherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just determined that the road leading to my house which overlooks the park is loaded with Choke Cherry plants. Been seeing these berries everywhere and just now looked at the pictures and desciptions of them. May have to consider going down to pic some. Could probably fill a 5 gallon bucket in about 15-20 minutes.

When choke cherries are still young will they just look like little white berries

I got a call last night from a wino friend who says the chokecherries are ripe and ready for picking. I have yet to make chokecherry wine (but plan to this year), but I remember as a little boy picking them with my grandmother to make jelly. I thought we picked them in mid fall.
When do chokecherries in your neck of the woods ripen for picking?
Denny
Northern Wisconsin

In NC they are all gone already, I got around 20-25 lbs total this year from one little tree. I went back this past weekend and they had all fallen off already.

Same here - they are all gone. I was only able to reach enough off my trees to make a 1 gallon batch - Trees are like 100' tall.

The birds got the rest - there was like a 2 day window i had when they were ripe to pick them before the birds got them all.

I picked ours on 7-19-2010.

Latest posts

Back