Quantcast

Choke Cherry

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

ffemt128

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Just determined that the road leading to my house which overlooks the park is loaded with Choke Cherry plants. Been seeing these berries everywhere and just now looked at the pictures and desciptions of them. May have to consider going down to pic some. Could probably fill a 5 gallon bucket in about 15-20 minutes.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Doug, If you don't want all of them I'll pick some. Let me know.

jtstar

Reaction score
When choke cherries are still young will they just look like little white berries

ffemt128

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Doug, If you don't want all of them I'll pick some. Let me know.
Steve,

They are lining Crafton Blvd above the park. You need to come from the bridge as the road is one way.

Denny32

Junior
Reaction score
I got a call last night from a wino friend who says the chokecherries are ripe and ready for picking. I have yet to make chokecherry wine (but plan to this year), but I remember as a little boy picking them with my grandmother to make jelly. I thought we picked them in mid fall.
When do chokecherries in your neck of the woods ripen for picking?
Denny
Northern Wisconsin

pwrose

Wine-Oo
Reaction score
In NC they are all gone already, I got around 20-25 lbs total this year from one little tree. I went back this past weekend and they had all fallen off already.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Same here - they are all gone. I was only able to reach enough off my trees to make a 1 gallon batch - Trees are like 100' tall.

The birds got the rest - there was like a 2 day window i had when they were ripe to pick them before the birds got them all.

I picked ours on 7-19-2010.