Choke cherry port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptop

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking for a choke cherry port recipe, any tips an pointers welcome, I do make a dryer choke cherry wine .need info on how to do a port

Choke Cherry Port (1 Gal)
8 lbs ripe wild chokecherries (I freeze mine)
2-3/4 lbs granulated sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
6-1/2 pints boiling water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
wine or port yeast
Pick only ripe berries. Put water on to boil. Destem and sort berries, discarding any bruised fruit - you can pit them if desired. Put berries in a mesh or nylon bag in primary. Cover berries with boiling water (sets a beautiful color), cover primary, and wait 2-3 hours. Crush berries by hand, being careful not to break pits. Add 1/2 sugar and remaning ingredients except pectic enzyme and yeast. Stir well to dissolve sugar, cover, add pectic enzyme after 12 hours and yeast after another 12 hours. Squeeze bag and stir liquor twice daily. After 5 days, add remaining sugar and stir well to dissolve. Ferment additional 3 days, drain fruit pulp (squeezing gently) and siphon liquor into dark secondary. Fit airlock and rack in 30 days. Rack three more times, once every two months, stabilizing after third racking. Dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in 1/4 cup boiling water, cool and add to wine before bottling in dark glass to preserve color (or store in dark place). Age 9-12 months.
Not sure where I copied this recipe from but it isn't mine - my apologizes to the author! I have a batch of port and a batch of wine going now. Helps my mother-in-law has a beautiful choke berry bush I get to pick from.

Latest posts

Back