Choke cherry getting bubbly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its only been 4 months since I started this one and it still has some aging to go, however I am finally starting to taste the improvements.
It was very bitter last time I racked it and at that time it was backsweetened to 1.022.
The backsweetening took some of the bitterness away, but now three months since then it is really starting to smooth out. It still is bitter but it is atleast pallatable. I can't wait for another 3 months to pass. This will be a great wine to go with a thick ol porterhouse, or some good and rare primerib.

This is like deja vu - what you just explained is exactly how my choke cherry is doing.

Well its only been 4 months since I started this one and it still has some aging to go, however I am finally starting to taste the improvements.
It was very bitter last time I racked it and at that time it was backsweetened to 1.022.
The backsweetening took some of the bitterness away, but now three months since then it is really starting to smooth out. It still is bitter but it is atleast pallatable. I can't wait for another 3 months to pass. This will be a great wine to go with a thick ol porterhouse, or some good and rare primerib.

PW you are making me hungry. I have a choke cherry wine going right now as well but I mixed it with some elderberry. I am planning on stabilizing and backsweetening this weekend. I have not tried this at all and getting curious as to what it taste like. Glad to hear yours is coming along so well.

I was going to bottle it when I racked it this time, but decided since I didn't need the carboy right now I would just put it back in and bulk age for a little longer. I am however going to be bottling my elderberry port this weekend and backsweetening my blueberry.

I know that next years choke cherry and elderberry harvest wont get here soon enough.
I already ordered a fine mesh screen that I am going to make a net out of to catch the choke cherries, that is if the trees are as full as they were this year. I am thinking at least 10 gallons or more next year.

When you boiled the berries you also boiled the seeds, is this releasing to much tannins from the seeds then? Would a freeze then thaw plus enzymes get the juice out without to much bitterness, or at least extra tannins coming from the seeds maybe? I am asking because we just harvested our first chokecherries from our own bushes this year. We were considering steam juicing them vs doing a boil. Also Cassien fining agents are supposed to be able to pull out excessive tannins, some suggest to use in elderberry wines but I think chokecherries might have a bit more tannins than elderberries! WVMJ

Jack, FYI - this thread is 5 years old.

Good info though. I use my chokecherries fresh - never cooked - steam juiced or otherwise.

Yeah I know, these should be getting good by now:) I have a ziplock full of chokecherries and a bunch of really dark honey to stand up to them. When you do them raw, freeze and thaw in the must and let them soak in the primary for how long? More should be coming next year, if this years batch is good I can get the wife to help me pick more! WVMJ

Back