Chocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photoactivist

Vintage Raelity
Reaction score
I'm about to start a Chocolate Raspberry Port from fresh ingredients. No kits for Vintage Raelity, baby!

It's going to feature fresh ruby raspberries, Ghirardelli dark chocolate, heavily toasted oak, and almonds.

Keep an eye out for the recipe.

Last edited:
Well, the initial wine that was fortified was amazing. Fragrant and alluring. Unfortunately, I think I used the wrong chocolate. I used a Ghirardelli 100% cocoa baking bar; but in retrospect, I think I should have used Dutch processed cocoa. It has a lower ph, and is less bitter.
I'm going to rack this week for the third month, and try some, so maybe some time will have helped. But we'll see.

Finally bottled after one year of bulk aging, and tried a bit left over. I was pleasantly surprised, it was right along where the taste should be! No longer the disappointment it had been months ago. I've made ten bottles, kept two or three for myself and distributed the rest with implicit instructions to wait till 2019 to open. A couple of sailors I sent to were quite excited about it, along with a very old friend of mine (who happens to be the only friend that drinks port).
So, hey... This may just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Finally bottled after one year of bulk aging, and tried a bit left over. I was pleasantly surprised, it was right along where the taste should be! No longer the disappointment it had been months ago. I've made ten bottles, kept two or three for myself and distributed the rest with implicit instructions to wait till 2019 to open. A couple of sailors I sent to were quite excited about it, along with a very old friend of mine (who happens to be the only friend that drinks port).
So, hey... This may just work.
You promised to share the recipe?!?

I recently bottled a chocolate strawberry that I, too, had aged on a 100% ghiradelli bar.. I thought I messed it up too. Now, it’s fairly amazing. Next time I want to add chocolate, I’ll do it the same way!

To anyone that tried the chocolate recipes, did you back sweeten? Jacks recipe doesn’t mention it but my chocolate strawberry is 5 months in and so far I’m not impressed. It seems tart from the strawberries but no strawberry flavor or sweetness.

Hi,
I have only made the kits and I did follow the directions. A sweet pack was added at the end stage. The kits have been wonderful and a favorite of those who like sweet stuff. I am not sure that this will help you out, but good luck.

do a bench trial and see if it helps. I usually use sugar syrup 2 cups sugar to one cup water mix in a blender. take measured sample of wine usually 100ml and use 1/4 tsp of sugar in first sample,, two in second etc. pick out the best and calculate for main batch

This is a good recipe. Use black raspberries.

The Dutched cocoa powder produces a good result but it can be a bit messy. I wouldn't suggest substitution until you have tried the first batch. Next time you can try cacao nibs soaked in spirits for an extract. Also you may have a problem finding the grape concentrate. Try a cup of Zante currants or reconstituted grape juice without any preservative (potassium sorbate) included.

This is a good recipe. Use black raspberries.

The Dutched cocoa powder produces a good result but it can be a bit messy. I wouldn't suggest substitution until you have tried the first batch. Next time you can try cacao nibs soaked in spirits for an extract. Also you may have a problem finding the grape concentrate. Try a cup of Zante currants or reconstituted grape juice without any preservative (potassium sorbate) included.
I have never seen black raspberries around here, will red ones do?

From what I understand, “normal” cacao powder isn’t good. Too astringent from memory. I’ll get some Dutched cacao from the whole foods store.

I’ve made a few batches of cider with our local supermarket grape juice, they only contain vitamin C and work well. Shall use that instead of concentrate.

I haven't tried it with red raspberries. In my area (Virginia) the reds I grow are more acidic than the black. Give it a try.

Cacao powder is too astringent.

I made chocolate cherry wine with regular cocoa powder, not Dutched. Chololate requires at least a year to age, which will greatly reduce the bitterness. After almost 2 years, my chocolate cherry wine is very nice.

Latest posts

Back