WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18523

Reaction score
Hi,
I am making the chocolate raspberry port for the first time. I tasted the juice and it is really sweet. I'm a bit nervous about how much of the F-Pack to put in . Has anyone made this kit before and if so, any recommendations?:n
thanks
Rich

I'm making the chocolate orange version. Most of the sweetness will be converted to alcohol. And most of the sweetness of the F-pack will be converted to alcohol too. The yeast in the kit is capable of making 18% alcohol wine and the goal is to do that with some residual sweetness, as port is a high-alcohol wine.

Um, the Fpac is added after you stabilize so none of that will be turned into alc. Its a dessert wine and designed to be sweet. If you are concerned taste test it while adding the fpac until you achieve the right sweetness level for you. Make sure you keep this nice and warm especially after adding the dextrose pack as thats when this kit starts to really push the yeasts abv tolerance so warmth and stirring is needed to try and keep the yeast as happy as you can.

Per the instructions, after the F-pack is added fermentation continues until the SG reaches a specific level. Then the port is stabilized. The wine should end up sweet but not as sweet as that initial taste before fermentation starts.

Thanks Guys -

Wade, One question on your last comment. The temp in the room is probably about 73-75 degrees. Although it has only been about 36 hours, I havent seen it bubble yet. Should I stir every night or just let it sit at this point? Thanks and appreciate the help.
Rich

Per the instructions, after the F-pack is added fermentation continues until the SG reaches a specific level. Then the port is stabilized. The wine should end up sweet but not as sweet as that initial taste before fermentation starts.

winemom, I have not made the chocolate orange but have made the chocolate raspberry. Assuming the instructions are the same, Wade is correct, the F-pack is added after stabilization to provide the flavoring and sweetness to the finished wine. You may be confusing the F-pack with the Dextrose pack used for chaptilization, where further fermentation of the additional sugar is necessary for increased alcohol content.

I'll be bottling my Orange Chocolate Port in a week or two. I found it was quite sweet (as it should be, its' a dessert wine). The half bottle of brandy I added into it should fix that. :dg :d

Fpac are always added after stabilizing your wine as they themselves contain some sorbate. You must be confusing the fpac with the dextrose pack. That being said we do add the fpac to dome of the mist style kits pre or during fermentation to up the abv. Unless they have changefd yhe instructions this year as I have made this kit many times.
As far as temp goes you should always monitor the wine temp and not the room temp. If this is sitting on the floor it can be quite colder due to absorbing the coolness of the floor. This kit can ba a slow starter due yo thr very high starting sg and visual signs arent a good way to tell if fermentation is starte. I always start my wine with temps in the lower 80's to get it going fast and then lower it once its started.

winemom, I have not made the chocolate orange but have made the chocolate raspberry. Assuming the instructions are the same, Wade is correct, the F-pack is added after stabilization to provide the flavoring and sweetness to the finished wine. You may be confusing the F-pack with the Dextrose pack used for chaptilization, where further fermentation of the additional sugar is necessary for increased alcohol content.

You are correct, looking in the box I see that there are two packs, one for before stabilization and one after!

This is one of the best ports to make, just make sure to age it for maxium enjoyment! Enjoy

Back