WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine - Fortifying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raelynn

Reaction score
When we purchased the kit, the ppl at the wine store said that we could fortify it with brandy at bottling. We are ready to bottle and have brandy, but am wondering how much to add. The kit made 3 gal and we have 2 x 750ml bottles of E&J Gallo brandy available (which is more than we need I think). How much should we add, and is it better to rack it out of the carboy into a clean carboy and add the brandy to the entire batch, or add an ounce (or some other amount) into each 375ml bottle before filling?

What's your approximate ABV? And where do you want it?
You can use the Pearson Square to calculate how much to add.
Or go by taste. Add as much as is needed to make you smile.

Personally I would add to the entire batch, gently stir, wait a day or two before bottling. You're sure each bottle is the same that way.

I recently made a Port-style wine from an aged red, sugar, and EverClear 151 proof. A lot of sources state that real Port is made with brandy, but in most cases it's eau de vie, which is unaged brandy (grape brandy not aged in oak).

I have a workbook containing a tab that calculates fortification amounts. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you. The forum doesn't allow uploading of Excel workbooks.

What's your approximate ABV? And where do you want it?
You can use the Pearson Square to calculate how much to add.
Or go by taste. Add as much as is needed to make you smile.

Personally I would add to the entire batch, gently stir, wait a day or two before bottling. You're sure each bottle is the same that way.

It is approx 18-19% but I had honestly thought fortifying would enhance the taste, which is the main reason I wanted to do it.

I recently made a Port-style wine from an aged red, sugar, and EverClear 151 proof. A lot of sources state that real Port is made with brandy, but in most cases it's eau de vie, which is unaged brandy (grape brandy not aged in oak).

I have a workbook containing a tab that calculates fortification amounts. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you. The forum doesn't allow uploading of Excel workbooks.

Thank you! I sent you a PM

Google search the Pearson Square. It’s a spreadsheet calculation that can tell you how much to add based on the ABV of the brandy you are adding. FYI, brandy will add a flavor to your wine. If you desire your flavor intact, use a neutral spirit like Everclear.

I was under the impression that the flavour of the brandy would enhance the wine. I guess I will see! I've had it without before, so I hope it's just as good!

Thank you! I sent you a PM
Workbook sent.

My notes on my port are here. I also made an Aspres Chocolate Raspberry Port. That one came out to 17.7% ABV -- if you've got the same results, you'll need 743 ml to bump a 12 liter kit to 19% with 80 proof brandy. I used 151 proof EverClear, so I needed a lot less.

Brandy will change the flavor -- whether that's good or bad is up to you, e.g., if you're happy with it, it's good.

My fortification goal is different, to produce a wine as much line a real Port as possible, so use of EverClear made sense.

EDIT -- hit Send early and had to fix post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back