WineXpert Chocolate Rasberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troton

Reaction score
This will be my next kit. I will get it started soon before fruit season starts. I made a port to the tee by instructions last year . It turned out good but I want to Tweek this one. How do I?? Someone told me to add Chocolate Essences like an Oak chips but I can't find it or even know what it is.
I want to fortify but don't know when or even how.

??? I don't want to ruin it but I don't want it to be plain Jane either.

Personally I would not tweek this wine. Can't mess with success. ;)

This will be my next kit. I will get it started soon before fruit season starts. I made a port to the tee by instructions last year . It turned out good but I want to Tweek this one. How do I?? Someone told me to add Chocolate Essences like an Oak chips but I can't find it or even know what it is.
I want to fortify but don't know when or even how.

??? I don't want to ruin it but I don't want it to be plain Jane either.
Are you saying that you want MORE chocolate flavour in this port? Why else would you add Chocolate Essences?

If you have access to Everclear, add some right before bottling. Otherwise you could add a decent brandy.

Frangelico is a hazelnut liquor. A buddy added some to a sherry, and it turned out excellent. I think it would be great with a chocolate port, but not sure about a raspberry chocolate port.

BTW, do you have one of these kits sitting around the house??? Remember this was a limited edition kit, not sure if you will be able to find one at a retailer.

Steve

Yes I have one. Meant to start it over winter but my Cranberry wine took so long. But it turned out great.
I am so just not a stick to the recipe girl. That is why I prefer to make my own.

So Just looking for some interesting ideas. Not that I want to screw up a $130 kit. Ough But I might be worth a try. Maybe just a few bottles at bottling time??? that sounds like a better Idea

I cant see messing with this kit at all, I would say this is the best testing kit dessert wine out there!

I have my choc rasp port bubbling away in the lounge.

Really looking forward to this one. The orange muscat port is next!

Allie

Allie,
I'm glad to see you have the Choc Rasp Port. I put in my order but they say they won't be shipped until september. i'm hoping to give a few bottles away for holiday gifts.

I am still planning on making the one from Wade's recipe but w/ raspberries but waiting till they come a little more into season.

WSG

I have enough raspberries in the freezer to make Wades recipe. If you are going to do that one too .. let me know and I'll start mine at the same time.. will be interesting to compare results with yours.

Allie

the choc raspberry port seems to have stalled after the chapitalisation step at SG 1.020. can't head into the clearing stabilising stage til 1.010 have warmed it up and stirred it up and it's being stubborn. Will check again in 2 days and see if anything is actually happening.

Allie

That will probably be it as mine also did that and many others also. The best way to avoid this would be t chap. in small doses next time earlier so it doesnt shock the yeast.

SG has only moved from 1.020 to 1.018 in 5 days.. I suppose as long as it is fermenting it's ok Wade?

I'm praying it's not stuck.

Allie

Its petering out and may go down a little more but probably not mauch at all, dont worry, thats where mine stopped and after adding the pack it was awesome, if its a littkle too sweet for you at that point you can add some high test (fortify) to balance out the sweetness.

Thanks Wade.. am making the orange muscat now.. supposed to be at the gym .. but.. I left the car headlights on yesterday and the battery is flat

sighs

Allie

( and I'm not even blonde)

Doing the fining process this morning and added the fpac .. managed to sneak a mouthful of wine and it's amazing.. I recommend this kit as being well worth doing.

It's everything you said it was Wade, am going to order another one myself.

Now I'm really looking forward to the orange muscat.

Allie

I just started mine, 08-15-09 was suppossed to do Chaptalisation on around the 20th, on the 21 it was at 1.030 not the 1.015 or less. I checked temp and it was a little high 77. So now i have it at 72 and have stirred twice but still only 1.025 and on day 9. What I am doing wrong it said 5-7 days.

troton,

mine didn't follow the schedule either.. just leave it a bit longer if it's still fermenting away..

a note on the chapitalisation, both Wade and I added the entire pack of sugar and it stalled the next step, we couldn't get it to ferment down to the required 1.010.. perhaps add half to yours and let it ferment out then add the other half.. hopefully you can get yours to hit the magic number before clearing/stabilising stage.

have got mine bulk stored and it's too sweet for me.. so.. I'm going to fortify it..

whiskey or vodka with chocolate?.. what do you think?

Allie

whiskey or vodka with chocolate?.. what do you think?

Allie

we use vodka with a raspberry flavor and chocolate, so i would suggest that. with just chocolate, i would say whiskey. i don't think the whiskey taste will blend well with raspberry.

i never knew they had a kit for this. we only use kits for hard to find fruits now. my dad actually got the cocoa nibs and ground them up. we made a liqour with vodka and then mixed with the raspberry wine when they both were finished. came out to be excellent!

Latest posts

Back