WineXpert Chocolate-Rasberry Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo, my fermentation is going nuts over here! My SG is at 1.073 now. Maybe its because Im doing a dble batch but I only used 1 of the yeast packets. The label looks awesome! Did you notice if it was grape juice or raspberry juice?

Edited by: wade

Waldo,

The label is Great!!! You have made me want to try a port kit myself. PWP, the Orange-Chocolate one sounds deeelish too.

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
Waldo,

The label is Great!!! You have made me want to try a port kit myself. PWP, the Orange-Chocolate one sounds deeelish too.

Ramona

Thanks Ramona.....Jump on in here..Or should I say. "Get on Port with us"
smiley4.gif

At an SG of 1.010 and following instructions, I completed the chaptalisation stage of my Port this morning.

20071016_024400_sugars.jpg

As NW would say......................All is well !!Edited by: Waldo

Thanks for all the great pics and good info on your chocolate raspberry port. I made a regular port several months ago and have been letting it bulk age. I plan on bottling it tomorrow and wonder if you (or anyone elseon forum) has suggestions on what type of bottles to use.
I know typically port is drunk in 1/2 portions of regular wine due to higher alcohol percentages. I've been collecting a few Belgian style beer bottles that come corked and will use as many of those as I have, but am wondering if a Grolsch style beer bottle would be better than a 750 ml bottle.

Any help would be appreciated on this one.

BTW...your labels are really nice!

Thanks laney. The bottling is a personal preference and in the past I have used both 375ml and 750ml bottles. Fot this one I did order the 375 ml bottles but the grolsch bottles I think would work fine too.

laneygirl said:
Thanks for all the great pics and good info on your chocolate raspberry port.   I made a regular port several months ago and have been letting it bulk age.  I plan on bottling it tomorrow and wonder if you (or anyone elseon forum) has suggestions on what type of bottles to use.  

Laneygirl,
Well I have always used Bellissima Ice Wine Bottles Dark Ones - 375ml This makes it perfect for port!!

I agree with Benny, I too use Ballissima bottles, dark, to bottle the majority of my Blackberry port. However, I have also used 750ML botles for those occasions that we have company, or we feel like drinking more. So it's personal choice and personal habits that will aid you in your decision .

Thanks to all of you for the info on best bottles for my port. For now, I'll just use what I've got in the 375 and 750 ml sizes. I think the Ballissima bottles look like a nice option to consider for the future...would give it a nice appearance, especially for gifts. Thanks again.

I racked mine to glass early this morning at 1.010 so the stabilizing and clearing stage is not too far away.

SG is at 1.002 and holding steady. I believe she has finished and waiting on the next step.

Mine has died a slow death and is barely moving. Since Chaptilizing she dont want to go down, very little action in airlock. Ive been stirring it up to get more air in there and bring up some of the yeasties but I dont think shes going to make it anywhere near the desired SG. Temp is at 75*.

I racked mine yesterday at 1.011. I was a day late. It is VERY full. I will be sure to sanitize some bottles when I stir so I don't waste any port. I think I will probably need to remove a gallon of wine to fit the f-pack and stir!!

I just started mine last night. A little bit of action this morning. I'll have to see what's going on when I get home tonight!!!

Started mine today. My SG is at 1.120 With it being below the range of SG on the instructions is it going to make a difference? Also why is there a difference between all of our SG? I sampled the juice man what a great flavor.

Waldo because this is my first port. What do you mean when you are going to fortify it?

jhawk, welcome to the "Chocolate/Rasberry Port" gang. To answer your question on the SG differences, there could be a couple of factors such as how well the must was stirred, the temperature of the must and how good my eyes were at the time I took my reading.

To fortify means to boost the alcohol content by adding either an unflavored brandy, vodka or a product called everclear. My preference in fortifying is the brandy.

Mine refuses to drop below 1.008. It has been holding for 5 days now, think it is time to stabilize and clear.

Latest posts

Back