WineXpert Chocolate-Rasberry Port Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would definitly help to have a second 3 gallon; However,it is not entirely necessary. You could alternativly use the fermentation bucket. Transfer your port into the bucket, clean out your 3 gal, and re-rack it to the carboy.

I tried to get one for 110$. He said he couldn't go any less than 120$. I already have one of these kits brewing, however, I wouldn't mind a spare!!

PWP, what does everyone fortify this port with? Do the instructions tell you how to fortify?

uavwmn: I haven't made that Port yet, but I don't beleive they require any fortifying when you are completed. They are designed for 18 - 19 % ABV, as I understand.

Having made Ports, and if I were to fortify (for what ever reason), I would use everclear or something that is as tasteless. Unless you have a certain flavor that your going for. You can always try small measured mounts when you ready, for instance, 1/4 cup Port to 1/4 Tsp everclear or other fortifiers to see what you would like.

All I can say is I'm glad I bought two originally. Mine is still in the clearing stage (ferm went really slow) but I know it will be awesome. I made two of the RJS OJ Ports when they orig came out late 2006. I did fortify the OJ Port with Everclear but I'm not going to fortify this one. I think it actually detracts a bit from the flavor and needs longer aging. I only did it because I didn't have all I had were regular size wine bottles and hoped it would help it stay good longer once opened but they way I'm guzzling it, that's not a problem.
Edited by: Jackie

I didnt fortify mine either as it tasted really good. Some fortify with Everkleer, some with E&J Brandy. The La Bodega Port's instructions say to use Apricot brandy.

I have used both Everclear and E&J and I definately would recommend using E&J

Uavnmn -

Lurker/Slash Newbie Here ... I was in my LHBS last night, he has about a half-dozen WE Cholate Raspberry Ports in stock. I believe is asking $110 each for them.

If you are interested I'll give you his number. I am sure he would ship to you from NY (Albany area).

Jim M

Welcome Jim and thanks for sharing this as there are many new wine makers looking to make this kit. It is an awesome kit and though small and pricey it produces extraordinary wine. I did a dble batch and everyone whi has tasted it LOVES it.

The owner of the LHBS gave me a taste of his Chocolate Orange port from last year, very smooth. So I ordered one of the WE Chocolate Raspberry ports and one of the RJS Chocolate Orange ports. I was a little disappointed the orange port didn't come with any oak.

Welcome Jim. Always glad to see someone else not too far from home.

Why don't you ask the owner if they used any oak in theirs that you liked? If they didn't and you enjoyed it, maybe it doesn't need any oak. It might get you another taste of it by asking
smiley2.gif
Edited by: appleman

Jackie, did you ever get the smaller bottles for your Port? I am interested in which small bottles everyone is choosing for their Ports.

Mine was bottled a few weeks before Christmas and it is awesome, glad I did a dble batch.

I just bottled my Chocolate Raspberry last night! Below are a couple of photos. These are before I rinsed the bottles to make them look a little better!

20080116_145628_TT_CR_Port_2.jpg

20080116_145855_TT_CR_Port_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back