Chocolate Fruit Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
I've been debating making the Chocolate Strawberry Port from the recipes section as it sounds yummy. Before I jump right in, I figured I need to find out what a port tastes like. So I went to the local liquor store the other day and bought Chocolate Shop Cream de Cocoa (from the port section) as well as a dark red Port (I forget the name).

Well, both were nasty. The port tasted like medicine and went down the drain. The Chocolate Shop has a nasty initial alcohol taste, followed by a smooth chocolate cream finish. It's almost like you get a rewarding finish for suffering through...lol.

So anyway, because I thought both of those were nasty, I'm now reluctant to make the chocolate strawberry port. Does anyone have a bottle of this (or the same using any fruit) you would be interested in trading for? Since ports are a bit expensive to make, I'd rather know its good before I waste time/money.

Sounds like you encountered an issue that many do - getting a bad bottle of port! It's quite easy to get bad bottles, a lot of people don't do it well.

You can generally get a pretty good bottle by sticking to the major port houses from Porto, Portugal. Taylor Fladgate, Graham's, Fonseca, etc. All excellent. Sounds like you got a ruby port, as opposed to a tawny, and then a bit of an experimental one (and on the lower quality end from the sound of it). A good bottle will cost a bit more, but you wouldn't need to spend more than $20.

For a good ruby example, try Graham's Six Grapes, Fonseca Bin No. 27, and Taylor Fladgate also makes a ruby.. can't remember the particular name offhand.

For tawny, I don't think anything surpasses Taylor Fladgate Tawny. I buy 10-year when I just want a good bottle, for ~20$, 20-year is stellar, but about double the cost, and then 30-year and 40/50 are considerably more expensive.

So in short, I wouldn't judge the strawberry chocolate from the two nasty ones that you tried! I don't have any bottles to send of my own. Have a good collection, but all stuff you can buy commercially and then a selection of some of the good ones from around MO.

I tried that Graham's Six Grapes and I enjoyed it very much. I was wondering when I ordered it though what the difference between the tawny and ruby? The guy at the restaurant tried to explain it but I don't think he really knew what he was talking about.

Sounds like you got a ruby port, as opposed to a tawny, and then a bit of an experimental one (and on the lower quality end from the sound of it). A good bottle will cost a bit more, but you wouldn't need to spend more than $20.

Yes, it was a ruby port. I wish I still had the bottle to give you the name. I'll take a look at the liquor store for the others you mentioned, thanks!

No problem! The primary difference between ruby and tawny ports is the time/location they spend aging. Ruby ports tend to do 1-2 years in oak, and 1-2 years in stainless. Tawny ports tend to spend 10+ years in oak, oxidizing/evaporating gradually over time, really creating a unique beast.

The only confusion is a Vintage port, which is still classified as a ruby but that is aged longer in oak, due to the quality of the grapes in that particular year. These are typically held for 50+ years before drinking though, the aging potential is immense.

That makes more sense...thanks for the explanation. Sounds like I should try the tawny next time.

My husband and I found a really great port at a tasting room in California when we went out to visit family. It was a zinfandel port from Mayo Family Winery. We bought 5 bottles while there and brought them home but they went too quick. Then realizing we loved it so much we went to all the local wine/sprite shops in our area but no one sold that specific winery's stuff here on the East coast. We must of went through a dozen different types (both red and tawny) and were disappointed with all of them so we ordered some online. We were surprised when we found out that they were able to ship it to our state! Here is a link to check it out.
http://www.mayofamilywinery.com/Wine-Shop/Dessert-Wines

Wow, $35 a bottle plus shipping! Definitely more than I'm willing to spend on an experimental taste test. I guess really what I'm wondering is...would I like the Chocolate Strawberry Port from the recipes section of this site? If so, I'd rather make that than buy a bunch of commercial wines. I was hoping I would be able to try a commercial port to get an idea of what that recipe might taste like. But its sounding like that won't be the case.

So let me change my question. For anyone that has made the Chocolate Strawberry Port, can you describe the taste to me? Can you compare it to anything you have tasted commercially?

Yeah, it is a bit pricy. That's why I am experimenting with making some myself! I think I did hear good things about Wades Chocolate Strawberry Port. It does sound delicious.. :)

If any of you are every around the MSU Mt Grove fruit exp station, they make an excellent Norton port.

Interesting. I've found that the vast majority of the Norton ports I have tried are pretty horrible. I have found a few that I would rate as acceptable though, and a select few that I think are quite good. I will have to give this one a try! Where at in MO is this again? I remember seeing something for it a while back.

My husband and I found a really great port at a tasting room in California when we went out to visit family. It was a zinfandel port from Mayo Family Winery.

Zin ports are a bit unusual, but pretty good. They are mostly always ruby ports, and can have a nice flavor and body to them. There's a brand that Sam's Club carries that is pretty cheap and isn't bad at all.

As far as a descriptive of the chocolate strawberry port....sweet strawberry dipped in chocolate with smooth heat from the brandy. Goes down oh so well and does not compare to anything I have ever found in the retail market. For the best comparison I would buy a dessert strawberry wine, blend with Godiva liqueur and brandy--but that is just a bit of what your port would taste like.

As far as a descriptive of the chocolate strawberry port....sweet strawberry dipped in chocolate with smooth heat from the brandy. Goes down oh so well and does not compare to anything I have ever found in the retail market. For the best comparison I would buy a dessert strawberry wine, blend with Godiva liqueur and brandy--but that is just a bit of what your port would taste like.

Ok, I'm sold. That's exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Thanks! I'm off to order some ingredients!

Back