Chocolate Extract?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of forms of chocolate mentioned on this forum, but not chocolate extract. Seems like a good way to add some chocolate flavor to something like cherry wine without the fat and added at any time after the ferment. Has anyone used this method? What about extracts in general? Pros and cons?

I found this one that also has vanilla in it that might fit the bill.

https://www.olivenation.com/chocolate-extract.html

I haven't used that chocolate extract product. I did buy some cacoa nibs, roast them and soak them in vodka to make my own extract. Very strong chocolate aroma. Not sure if any oils were extracted. I had thought I'd add it to some raspberry wine at some point and see how it worked out.

I did buy some cacoa nibs, roast them and soak them in vodka to make my own extract. Very strong chocolate aroma. Not sure if any oils were extracted. I had thought I'd add it to some raspberry wine at some point and see how it worked out.

I'm kinda doing the same. I happened to have a pound of cacao powder, so I mixed it with a couple of quarts of cheap vodka. I hope I will be able to strain the solids out after it has extracted. But in the meantime, I'm thinking about trying the above extract in some cherry wine.

I happened to have a pound of cacao powder, so I mixed it with a couple of quarts of cheap vodka
I tried that initially too but found that the powder made a paste that didn't separate. The cacao nibs remain solid pieces and the flavored vodka can be poured off easily.

I have some nibs marinating in vodka right now. Hoping to use some extract in the wine I plan to make from cherries from my sister's tree this summer. I also got some vanilla beans and have some vanilla extract in the works, too.

I’ve got a 3 gallon batch of Cherry Port working right now with 8oz of Chocolate Extract from Olive Nation. JoesWine coached to add when racking to the secondary. He’s won several awards using extracts, tweaking wines and ports and is a great source. I tasted a sample when I polished the port and it had a nice hint of chocolate on the back end. I started to make my own Chocolate Extract using 93% Cocoa & Vodka for a future adventure.

I’ve got a 3 gallon batch of Cherry Port working right now with 8oz of Chocolate Extract from Olive Nation. JoesWine coached to add when racking to the secondary. He’s won several awards using extracts, tweaking wines and ports and is a great source. I tasted a sample when I polished the port and it had a nice hint of chocolate on the back end. I started to make my own Chocolate Extract using 93% Cocoa & Vodka for a future adventure.

That's really helpful. Thanks!

It was @joeswine that pointed me to Olive Nation too. They have a nice selection. I also have started making extracts too. Vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon. I also have about 25 gallons of peach wine going that are from a juice that wasn't very peachy, so I am thinking about fortifying the flavor with some peach extract from Olive Nation.

extracts are a very cool way to fortified or sharpen a cello or as an additive to wine just remember a little goes a long way and it can take time to smooth out.
I received the best of show for my coffee port at winemakers international this year and the secrets ingredient was instant coffee and time.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20140920_110212516.jpg
    IMG_20140920_110212516.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 19
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 15
extracts are a very cool way to fortified or sharpen a cello or as an additive to wine just remember a little goes a long way and it can take time to smooth out.
I received the best of show for my coffee port at winemakers international this year and the secrets ingredient was instant coffee and time.

Thanks for chiming in Joe. I was hoping you would.

Of course I will bench test and go by taste, but since you have likely used the chocolate extract from Olive Nation, I wonder if you could give me a range of ratio for adding a fairly strong chocolate note to tart cherry wine? Approximate ounces to gallon. Just so I know where to start.

So, I just kegged a Tart Cherry Chocolate Cider using Olive Nation's Chocolate Extract. I had initially ordered a 16 oz bottle of the extract, and performed a bench test when it arrived. My conclusion, then, was 7.5 ml per cup of TC cider. This comes out to 4 oz per gallon, which is about half again the ratio Marc used in his stout. After sampling, 4 oz per gallon is way too much. I don't think I shook up the bottle before bench testing which lead to my samples being less concentrated.

Fortunately, I have another batch of Tart Cherry that will be done in two weeks. I plan to split what's in the keg to two kegs, rack and sweeten what is now in secondary into my bottling bucket, top off both kegs, and sample...add an oz...sample...add...sample until I find the perfect ratio. What a pain, but that's how you learn from your mistakes.

RolandD’s sharing is a great example of why bench testing is so important. Everyone has different tastes and goals. That’s one of the great things about this hobby, we create, tweak & tinker, try to replicate what we loved and avoid repeating the failures. Sharing on WMT helps everyone, not just ourselves.

My Cherry Chocolate Port is turning out awesome and Joeswine’s tweak of adding a tsp of instant espresso adds a great hint in the finish. At 10 months old, I could not be happier and I’m already trying to replicate with another batch. In retrospect, I should have conducted bench tests to determine just how much chocolate extract to add, but just jumped in with both feet, and lucked out with the finished product. Everyone who has tried the Port, loves it and keep asking to share! It’s a good thing I bottled using 375ml bottles, it will help make it last longer. I pre-ordered this seasons Caramel & Black Forrest Ltd. Edition Dessert Wines and am optimistic to try my hand with these as well.

Now a Port may not be the same a a Cider, but I like how RolandD is planning on blending his Ciders to achieve his end goal. Glad to hear he didn’t just pitch the batch and start over. RD, please let us know how your blending works out!

Just a foot note.: when adding extracts ,what you taste in the beginning isn't what you'll have in the end, it will balance out and become more blended instead of standing out ,or out of proportion to the rest.
less is more, time can change that also.

After sampling, 4 oz per gallon is way too much.

Just a foot note.: when adding extracts ,what you taste in the beginning isn't what you'll have in the end, it will balance out and become more blended instead of standing out ,or out of proportion to the rest.
less is more, time can change that also.

I made 5 gal of sweet/tart cherry that was my first use of chocolate extract. I made it with 20# of frozen sweet cherries from Walmart, plus 2 qts of "Just Tart" cherry juice. Our (wife and I) test taste resulted in us adding 1.1 oz of Olive Nation's Chocolate Extract per gallon just before bottling. Right after bottling, we tried a glass and we thought we had added just a bit too much. Then, after about a month it was perfect. Just like @joeswine says. We only wanted a hint of the chocolate flavor and that's just what we got.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

I did order a qt of the extract that should arrive tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts when I get it and do some bench testing with it.
I will be interested in your findings. I bought some of that extract a couple of month ago, but haven't decided what to do with it?...........................DizzyIzzy

I made 5 gal of sweet/tart cherry that was my first use of chocolate extract. I made it with 20# of frozen sweet cherries from Walmart, plus 2 qts of "Just Tart" cherry juice. Our (wife and I) test taste resulted in us adding 1.1 oz of Olive Nation's Chocolate Extract per gallon just before bottling. Right after bottling, we tried a glass and we thought we had added just a bit too much. Then, after about a month it was perfect. Just like @joeswine says. We only wanted a hint of the chocolate flavor and that's just what we got.
Would you care to share your receipe?..........................................DizzyIzzy

Would you care to share your receipe?..........................................DizzyIzzy

In addition to the cherries and juice and extract I already mentioned, 12# sugar, water added to make 6 1/2 gallon primary for an ABV of about 15%. Also 1TBS energizer, 1tsp enzyme, 4 1/2 tsp acid blend (pH 3.49).

Back sweetened with 3.2oz/gal simple syrup

Latest posts

Back