choc raspberry kit help needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaWa

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've just started a kit choc raspberry port. The ol' guy at the home brew shop said that although it only makes 11 litres it will be ok in a 23 litre secondary. I'm worried about this. I only have the 23 litre or several 5 litres to split it into. What's the best way to go. He said the gap at the top will fill with gas and be ok and that it's not a good idea to split the mix. What do you think?

Yes your ok, if you follow thier directions. If you want to bulk age it no. You are correct to worry in that case. If you buy a 6 gal kit and plan to bulk age in carboy it is really a 5 gal kit. So after secoundary fermentaion I would split to 1 gal carboys.

Last edited:
Yeah I got one off them too and was told the same thing. I thuoght I would move the wine to 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon carboys once Ive added the finings.....or should I leave it for the two weeks it says to after adding the finings then move it to the smaller carboys?

Unfortunately my batch is about a week ahead of wawas so we cant blend them.

Next time huh Wawa???!!!

It will not be ok in a 6 gallon carboy! That a lot of 02 in there withyor wine and this wine needs to sit in there awhile as it has a lot of solids to settle out, I aged for a little while and ended up with a ton of sediment in my bottles a few years back, dont make the same mistake as me cause this kit is too good to be drinking mud. Get yourself a 3 gallon carboy or if you have compressed C02 blow some in there.

Oh dear, so we cant look at moving it to smaller carboys at finishing stage? Ive got about 10 days to go till then or round about..
Where would one get compressed CO2 from?

If you have stores that sell commercial wine they might have compessed gases designed to spary in a bottle to save the wine for later times. You might need 2 or 3 for this though as thats a lot f empty space. If you know someone who kegs beer then they would have a set up.

Wade
I noticed your recipe for 3 gal strawberry choc port is racked into a 6 gal carboy. Wouldnt this create the same situation we have here?

Back