Quantcast

Chlorine off flavor

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Papa

Junior
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have 15 gallons of tri-berry wine,3 separate 5 gal carboys, that all have the same problem. Off flavor and unsavory aroma.
1-5 gal batch I was able to salvage by fortifying, adding bourbon barrel chips, adding 3 additional lbs of mixed berries to the secondary, honey to back sweeten ,a 4 750ml bottles of blackberry brandy.
For the other 2-5gal batches,I am looking for suggestions to save the wine.
I believe,and have narrowed my cause down to using to much bleach in my initial cleaning and scrubbing.
I used approximately a 1/4 gallon on 2 fermenter buckets & my glass carboys along with utensils and strainer bags.
I rinsed, but I don't think I rinsed enough.
I am seeking advice, tips, recommendations, and will weather the storm of scolding aswell.

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
If you are going to use bleach, mix 1 TBS of bleach per 1 gallon of water, and clean with that solution, leaving in contact for 10 minutes minimum. Anything you clean must air dry completely before coming into contact with your wine (or beer for that matter). I used bleach for years with beer, but if you overdo it a reaction will occur with components in hops and make your beer undrinkable (in my opinion). When I found out about StarSan from another homebrewer that I work with, I switched to that exclusively, and use OxiClean to get rid of the crud, a water rinse, and then StarSan as the final step, as it can be used with either wine or beer, and is food safe (used in commercial kitchens all the time).

In other words, I agree with @DoctorCAD, I wouldn't use bleach (unless it is the only alternative), and definitely not straight (without first diluting at 1 TBS per gallon of water) then rinsing with pre-boiled/cooled water.

I agree with your initial thought that your usage of bleach caused your problem.

Edit: just remembered. The 1 TBS per gallon is with normal strength bleach, not the concentrated stuff you can buy now. You obviously need to use less of the concentrated stuff to get to the same dilution.

Last edited:

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, no need to gamble with bleach. There are other alternatives like pbw an sanitizing solutions like starsan, which are proven and safe.

Papa

Junior
Reaction score
Thank you guys,
I will not be using the bleach anymore!
I'm headed to the supplier today to re-up and start another 10 gal.
My mistake puts me at a disadvantage of a little over 3 months, the "bleach" batches were to be gifts for my guests as we're getting married the day after thanksgiving .
Any suggestions for the "bleach" wine ?
Is it salvageable or just destine for the drain ?

Papa

Junior
Reaction score
Just picked some up at the cosco
Thanks for the help
Any ideas on the wine I already have sitting?

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked some up at the cosco
Thanks for the help
Any ideas on the wine I already have sitting?
Try a few splash rackings to see if you can get it to blow off, that’s all I can think of........

Last edited:

Papa

Junior
Reaction score
Try a few splash rankings to see if you can get it to blow off, that’s all I can think of........
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not for sure exactly how to or what a splash ranking is.
May I get you to elaborate?

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not for sure exactly how to or what a splash ranking is.
May I get you to elaborate?
Wow, I did type ranking, meant splash racking. When you rack, let the wine drop out of your siphon tube at the top of the vessel, creating splashing and turbulence in the wine, which will hopefully help it release the bleach.

Papa

Junior
Reaction score
Thank you,
I'll certainly give it a try.
Believe the misspelling was on my part . After re-reading & reading your last response splash racking made perfect sense

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you,
I'll certainly give it a try.
Believe the misspelling was on my part . After re-reading & reading your last response splash racking made perfect sense
No, you read it correctly, I went back and edited it after you pointed out my error, so when others read it, the confusion is minimized.

Hope it works out, hate to see your batch be ruined.......