Chilling to Stop Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leolaquitzon

Junior
Reaction score
I did something wrong with my last batch of cherry wine. I still have to discover what went wrong (I'm still very much a novice), but essentially it kept fermenting after bottling.
Less than a week ago I back-sweetened and bottled, and now opening the wine results in quite an explosive event. I want to try to save the wine. So I am re-racking it. I want to kill the yeast, back-sweeten (again), and re-bottle. I was thinking of chilling the wine in the refrigerator to kill the yeast. One thing I don't understand about this, won't the yeast reactivate after it is removed from the refrigerator? If I kill the yeast by chilling, then bottle and store at 60-70 degrees F, won't that awaken the yeast as the wine warms back up? What am I missing here?

The same exact question was posted last Wed. here: Chilling to Stop Fermentation

Please see the answer there.
@Raptor99 was right the first time. Only potassium sorbate will deactivate the yeast. I would empty all the bottles into an appropriately sized carboy, top up, add an airlock, and let it finish fermentation. Then rack, back sweeten, and add potassium sorbate before bottling again.

Latest posts

Back