chilli wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairybhoy

Junior
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some help here, i am just about to make 1 gallon of chilli wine, the problem is, i dont know how much yeast to use, i am using EC-1118 and the packet says "to make up to 5 gallons" Do i use 0ne fith of the packet or half the packet? would really appreciate some advice. Thanks:a1

I use the whole packet the yeast stops when it runs out of sugar...so 1-6 gallons it's still one packet..hope this helps..if am wrong someone else will chime in good luck zoogie

recipe

10-15 red chillis (or however much you want)
1lb of chopped golden raisens
2lb sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 crushed Campden tab
1/2 tsp pectinase
1 1/2 tsp acid blend
lalvin EC-1118 yeast

I just thought that because i am only using 2lb of sugar, i packet of yeast might be to much!!!

This was a recipe i got from the internet, this will be my first attempt, hence the reason i am only making i gallon, if successful then i will go for 5 gallons!!!

Several of us have made pepper wine. Check out the special interest wines section and look for the Jalepeno Pepper wines thread. It's good. We used either a white grape or apple juice as a base. 3 cans per gallon and sugar to about 1.080 or so then back sweeten with white grape concentrate. Sweet taste at first then you feel the burn. I have 3 gallons sitting in a carboy aging now.

Like Zoogie said. A few days after you pitch the yeast, it will multiply many many times, anyway. However, one never knows if a batch will start the first time or maybe need a second dose of yeast. With that in mind, go ahead and use about a third of the packet; seal up the rest and place in your frig for a backup or for next time.

Thanks guys, i will be startin this as soon as my golden raisins arrive, i am using thai peeppers, birds eye and bullet peppers but if my bhut jolakias and scotch bonnets arrive in time then i plan to use them as well...hot hot hot!!! i will be using a straining bag probably for about a week, then i will rack it! I will ferment it to absolute dryness before racking again, i will rack another couple of times before bottling, I will keep you informed of how this goes!

Thanks guys, I plan to start this as soon as my golden raisins arrive, i am using a straining bag and using thai, birdseye and bullet peppers, but if my bhut jolakia and scotch bonnets arrive, they will be getting used as well..Hot! Hot! Hot! will keep you informed on the progress!!!

Several of us have made pepper wine. Check out the special interest wines section and look for the Jalepeno Pepper wines thread. It's good. We used either a white grape or apple juice as a base. 3 cans per gallon and sugar to about 1.080 or so then back sweeten with white grape concentrate. Sweet taste at first then you feel the burn. I have 3 gallons sitting in a carboy aging now.

wow, I am new to winemaking but a few years ago i used to make beer and cider, i have limited space and the weather aint too good here in the uk, i think the principal is the same except i think you can experiment more with wine, and i thought right, lets start with a chilli wine and see where we go, can you tell me how you made your spice wine, that sounds good!!!

Right guys, i have just added the yeast, can anyone tell me how long before fermentation starts, i only used half the packet, if this does not work, what is the best way to kick start the yeast!

Back