Chilli Wine recipe wanted..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe?

I have about 25 - 30 fresh tobasco chilli peppers on my plant. Would like to make a fairly heavy bodied red, with a view to cellaring for 3-4 years..Because I'm sure it will take that long for the chillies to calm down!

thoughts please.

Allie

Allie:

There's a winery in the BC Canada Okanagan region that adds a jalapeno pepper to each bottle of their peach ice wine. As the wine ages the pepper strength gets stronger.

Allie, I always check Jack Kellers site when somebody asks this kind of question. So here's the result....

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques32.asp

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I was hoping someone in here had a recipe that was proven, if all else fails I will adapt the jack keller one.

The peach chilli wine sounds interesting, have you tasted it?

Allie

The peach chilli wine sounds interesting, have you tasted it?

Allie
Yeah, it was nice except that I'm not a big peach fan. A friend's sister-in-law was buying herself a bottle (375ml) about once a month.

They used to do a straight jalapeno ice wine. That was really nice but HOT!!

Steve

They used to do a straight jalapeno ice wine. That was really nice but HOT!!

Steve

yumm.. now you've created a monster..I will have to come up with a recipe for that!

heheheh

Allie

I went ahead and invented a recipe..

well omg!

4 hours after putting it together and it had cooled so I could take the SG..I had a little sip..

hot hot hot!

I was going to ferment on the pulp for 3-4 days.. however I may need to upgrade this from 2 gallons to 5 gallons to soften the heat. Assuming the process of fermentation doesn't drop the heat ( it doesn't for ginger).. I will have to dilute this with more red grape juice..body and smoothness is good initially..( I added banana juice).. will see how we go!

Allie

I have a member in my wine club that made a hot pepper wine. It was terrible! It was undrinkable! Boy was it HOT! Boy did it stink up the house!
Do you see a trend...:)

Do you think that if you made it 5 gallons you should/could still ferment on pulp for the 3-4 days? Please post your recipe. I took a look at the keller one for Jalapeno Pepper wine, and i'll admit I was a little curious.

The two gallons is far too hot.. so have removed the pulp.. halved the mix and diluted it to 23 litres with blackcurrant concentrate and redgrape juice. It's now tolerable and still tastes nice...SG was 1.050 so have added sugar to bring it up to 1.070..will add another amount of sugar in a weeks time.

The other half of the mix is in the freezer.. if this comes out ok ..I'll make another batch.

will pop the recipe on for you later WSG..

Allie

Have you ever made black Currant wine Allie, its my fav and always in my cellar! as a matter of fact thers a bottle in the fridge chilling for tomorrow night!

When i have a primary free am going to Wade.

I have just located a blackcurrant concentrate on the supermarket shelf.. no added sugar or preservatives 57% pressed juice balance pear juice to sweeten.. dilution ratio is 1 part concentrate to 3.3 parts water.. not bad really.. can't seem to find any vintners harvest wine bases anywhere.. so doing the best I can with what's available.

Allie

Is it Ribena as we have a special import store over here with foods and drinks from all over the world and that is 1 of them, there was another brand also but I cant remember the name. They were expensive here though but I have a fairly local place that I can get fresh frozen berries from, thats all they sell as they produce Black currants for wineries and juice for stores.

Not ribena.. that brand isn't as concentrated.

It's a brand called 'barkers" and marketed as "berry life'..

They also sell a blackcurrant juice concentrate that is 99% pressed berries and no added sugar or preservatives.. but only comes in a 375ml bottle for $5.. I may just add one to the supermarket trolley weekly, til I have enough to make a decent batch with.

frozen berries are $8 for half a kilo..and auckland is too warm to grow blackcurrants. ( or I would! ) Collette got us both a great deal on blueberries last week..$25 for 10kg's.. waiting in the freezer for carboy space to become available.

Allie

here's the initial recipe.. I'm adjusting it as I go along..

25 small fresh tobasco chillies
300grams raisins chopped
3 bananas boiled and juice added 1 litre
2 litres boiling water
pectic enzyme
5 litres of red grape juice
citric acid--(not added)
black tea--(not added)
yeast nutrient
yeast
white sugar

pour boiling water over chopped chillies and raisins , leave to cool, add pectic enzyme. leave 24 hours.

at this stage I decided it was too hot , so removed pulp rather than leave to ferment on pulp for 3 days. Halved the mixture and placed in a 25 litre fermenter topped up the must with red grape juice, 4 litres of apple cider and a 750ml bottle of blackcurrant concentrate. due to adding all the grape juice I omitted adding black tea and citric acid.

Sg was 1.050..upped the sg to 1.070 with a sugar syrup .. added yeast and nutrient.. and put an airlock on it..It's fermenting well, doesn't smell odd so far and I will check the taste again in a week when I add more sugar.

rather than add more banana juice.. I will look at adding glycerine after fermentation if it needs it.

Last edited:
Today I checked the SG it was 1.005

made up a sugar syrup with grape juice and added it, gave it a good stir which shifted some of the gas. put the airlock back on Have also added toasted oak.

SG is now 1.035

A taste sample still has a nice kick and is palatable without knocking your socks off.

Will check again in a few days and add more sugar in a banana juice syrup, it needs more body.

Allie

Ok I am so trying this recipe, if only to wipe the looks of revulsion off of the faces of my friends. Oh they all want a bottle of the 'good stuff' the regular wines, but they don't want to try anything too 'out there' and part of the fun of this hobby is making some truly odd combinations.

I'm hoping to find some chili's at the market.

WSG

Hehehehe,

Excellent, go light on the chillies or you'll end up have to split the mix like I did.

And add your recipe, it'll be interesting to see your variations.

Allie

Latest posts

Back