Chilli Wine recipe wanted..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone a few months ago on another forum sent me a bottle of jalepeno/habenero wine which is in my cellar just waiting for me to gather up enough balls to open and try it!:)

habanero? omg that's the hottest chili isn't it?

how old is the wine?.. come on Wade, you can't tell me that you have a bottle and not open it!

What did the winemaker say about his/her wine creation?

dying of curiousity

Allie

how did the wine turn out allie and can you give the revised recipe it sounds like a good winter warmer for the dark wet winter nights over here

how did the wine turn out allie and can you give the revised recipe it sounds like a good winter warmer for the dark wet winter nights over here

I bottled 11 litres of it without oaking, those are destined for cooking with and haven't tried it as yet, we're heading into summer so that will be marinades etc.

Currently have the other 15 litres bulk stored with oak, because I wanted a lots of oak for the drinking wine.. at the end of this month I intend to rack it and adjust the sweetness, am thinking with so much pepper it may need a bit of sugar and possibly a bit of glycerine before bottling.

Will dig out the revised recipe for you and post it later.

Allie

Sorry for the delay.. my notes are all over the place with this one because I had to split the batch and mess with the heat factor.

Chilli Wine- 6 gallon batch/ 26 litres approx.

12 chillies finely chopped, leave seeds in.
300grams raisins chopped
3 bananas ( and chopped skins) boiled and strained discard solids
tablespoon of pectic enzyme
2 teaspoons each yeast and nutrient
sugar.. enough to lift SG to 1.070
18 litres red grape juice ( storebought)
8 cups boiling water
4 litres apple juice ( homemade)
1 campden tablet
2 packets of oak (optional)
1 bottle of blackcurrant cordial 750ml

put peppers/raisins/ crushed campden tab and banana juice in a bucket. Pour 8 cups boiling water over it. Leave to cool. Add large tablespoon of pectic enzyme leave 24 hours, strain solids out of must and add liquid to primary. Add red grape juice/blackcurrant cordial and cider check SG and add sugar to bring the reading up to 1.070. Stir well, add yeast and nutrient.

Airlock it and let it ferment out. Please note.. I never transferred this from the primary at all.. surprisingly not a huge amount of lees formed .. so I didn't see the need to disturb the yeast bed.

at about 5 days into I taste tested and felt it needed a little more body so I boiled up another 3 bananas in a small amount of water and added the strained juice.. this will have upped the sugars but not by very much.

at 7 days I made up a simple syrup with more grape juice, SG was 1.005 and I upped it to 1.035. added 1 toasted oak packet.

at 14 days we were back to 1.005 and I let it ferment to a full stop .998

I racked and split the batch into a 15 litre and an 11 litre carboy. the 15 litre was stabilised and another packet of oak added.. it's in bulk storage. The 11 litre was stabilised and allowed to clear on its own .. which it did all by itself quite quickly, I left it unsweetened and bottled it for use in cooking.

The 15 litre will be racked off the oak, tasted and adjusted at the end of this month. That one I am hoping will make a nice accompaniment to cheeses/dried fruit/ pickles and crackers type platters when we have guests.

So far the wine has a bit of a kick, time will smooth it out.. and I'm happy with the experiment.. won't be able to give you any more detail until I check the first bottle of cooking wine in 6 months hehehe

I have a feeling brown sugar and a bit of ginger and garlic plus chili wine .. marinate fish and stick it on the grill.. could be spectacular.

Allie

Last edited:
thanks allie im only gonna make a 1 gallon batch so i'll divide all by 6
and can i use shop bought apple juice instead of homemade ( the few apples i have(13) i want to try to make a wine out off) i assume blackcurrant cordial is what we in the emerald isle call ribena

Last edited:
Yes you can use shopbought applejuice and blackcurrant cordial.. just check for preservatives.. buy preservative free.

Ribena has preservative 220 in it, which is a sorbate and inhibits the yeast from multiplying.

I suggest you look through all the products on the shelf at the supermarket for preservative free.. however if you can't find one .. you can buy Ribena.. you will have to put it on your stove at a rolling boil/simmer for 20 mins and cool before using.. the cooking drives off the preservative apparently.. I've read in more than one forum that it removes the 220. however I have been lucky enough to buy preservative free here, so never had to test the theory.

Allie

so my chilli wine is nearly cleared just in time for hunting season, i changed the recipe a bit less chillis more sugar and i must admit it is quite pleasant (just a nice pleasant taste of chillis) as a sipping wine on cold damp days.
im gonna try it again and ill maybe add some banana for more body this time, friends of mine all want for when the go hunting and fishing im hoping its to keep the cold out.

Update..

I gave friends bottles of this for xmas.. told them to use it for cooking..

This morning ( xmas day for me).. received 3 texts asking for more bottles.. they are drinking it!..

Now I would have said no way, at least til the wine was bottled 6 months to a year..which is why I gave it as a cooking wine.. I still have 15 litres bulk stored, waiting for bottles.

so ok I'm considering this recipe a success and glad I saved the other half of the recipe in the freezer. Am heading off to the islands for the summer holidays and will start a new batch when I get back..

Allie

Does anyone have a recipe?

I have about 25 - 30 fresh tobasco chilli peppers on my plant. Would like to make a fairly heavy bodied red, with a view to cellaring for 3-4 years..Because I'm sure it will take that long for the chillies to calm down!

thoughts please.

Allie

Allie, I have a gallon of jalapeno with white concentrate clearing now. I haven't tasted it yet, so I don't know ...

I based mine on Keller's except I used more concentrate.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a few months :)

BTW, I'm planning to bottle this in 375's to use primarily for cooking.

When did you make yours?.. I hope you will share the recipe if it works out.

I bottled mine for BBQ's.. so the full sized 750ml bottles.

at the time.. my recipe was unproven.

I also bulk stored the first lot for 6 months before bottling.. the stuff waiting to be bottled now has been stored for about 8 months ish..I'm estimating from first postage about it.. because I never kept records beyond the recipe.

didn't think I'd be making a second batch..

Allie

When did you make yours?.. I hope you will share the recipe if it works out.

I bottled mine for BBQ's.. so the full sized 750ml bottles.

at the time.. my recipe was unproven.

I also bulk stored the first lot for 6 months before bottling.. the stuff waiting to be bottled now has been stored for about 8 months ish..I'm estimating from first postage about it.. because I never kept records beyond the recipe.

didn't think I'd be making a second batch..

Allie

Mine is only a month or so old from the start. Still hasn't completely cleared.

I used 12 home-grown jalapenos with seeds. Keller claims his was good at bottling time. We'll see. If it's good I'll post details.

Sounds like yours worked out well!

Jalapeno Wine

I have been making jalapeno wine for over a year. It's our "signature" wine. We call in "Burning Desire," "Smokin' Jalapeno." We have 2 very large jalapeno plants that are always full, and we love the wine, so we always have some fermenting. I use 2 cups per gallon batch, and use lime concentrate as the base.

The hotest heat is in the seeds and the veins, so I coarsly chop the peppers and run them through a colandar to get as many seeds out as I can. Then I put them in a straining bag with a few marbles to weigh them down, and let them ferment away!

I use a mix of red and green peppers. The wine turns out a nice chardonnay color. Yesterday I did something new! I only picked red peppers. This will be our Valentines Day wine, and I will look for some berry concentrate that will make the wine red for the base.

Jalapeno wine pairs nicely with any food that has a kick. We eat a lot of spicy Mexican food around here, and no wine could ever stand up to it until now. Prior to the jalapeno wine, we drank Beer or Margaritas with our Mexican foods.

I LOVE the Jalapeno wine, and I love to sweeten it with a little agave nectar. It tastes great that way. The heat and the sweet give it a nice twist! If you like jalapeno jelly, you will like Jalapeno wine!

I LOVE the Jalapeno wine, and I love to sweeten it with a little agave nectar. It tastes great that way. The heat and the sweet give it a nice twist! If you like jalapeno jelly, you will like Jalapeno wine!

This sounds reeeeeally good. :p:p:p

I also made 5gal of Kellers Jalapeno its clearing...started with test gallon my family drank it lol now they all want bottles :) Love the stuff

Burning Desire HOT Valentine Wine

I finally decided on the base for my "red" pepper Valentines Wine, and here is the recipe. I just started it, and it's in the primary waiting for yeast. I chose the juices because of their pretty pinky reddish Valentines color.

BURNING DESIRE HOT VALENTINE WINE
• 1 can (11.5 oz) Welch's Grape concentrate
• 1 can (11.5 oz) Old Orchard Premium Pomegranate Cherry Concentrate
• 1 66 oz bottle of Old Orchard Apple, Kiwi, Strawberry Juice (no preservatives)
• 2 C. red jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped, most seeds removed (use less peppers if less heat is desired).
• 5 C. granulated sugar
• 1 Crushed Campden Tablet
• 2 tsp acid blend
• 1 tsp pectic enzyme
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• ¼ tsp. wine tannin
• water to make 1.5 gallon
• 1 tsp. Lalvin K1-V1116 Wine yeast

Put surgical gloves on your hands. Keep your hands away from your eyes! Wash, de-seed and coarsely chop about 2 cups of RED jalapeno peppers. Put peppers into nylon paint straining bag along with a few marbles to weigh it down.

Mix all remaining ingredients except yeast. Adjust sugar and water so hydrometer reads 0.90.

Make a slurry in a coffee cup with a tsp. Lalvin K1-V116 Wine yeast, a couple tsp sugar, and about a half a cup warm water. Let that sit 12 hours to begin fermenting, then start adding ¼ C. of the must in the fermenter so that the yeast can get used to its new environment.

Cover primary and set aside 12 to 24 hours. Add activated wine yeast slurry and re-cover. When active fermentation slows down (about 5-7 days), transfer to secondary and fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. Wait 30 days and rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

ok, after reading this thread ive decided that yaw are crazy,:). i guess i want in on the action as well so ill be trying this this summer for it must be better than it sounds, but i do l;ove hot and spicy stuff, may even blend with my tomatoe wine.

Latest posts

Back