Chilean Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As promised, here are a few of the pictures my lovely niece took of our 2014 Chilean press.

We start by "skimming the cap" (scooping the cap of skins off the top by using a couple of 18 inch diameter , stainless steel strainers that I got from a restaurant supply store) into the press. We do this as a first step to save our backs. It is much easier to skim the cap off the top rather than shovel them off the bottom of my primary.

We then have a "pumping tube" (a length of 4" pvc pipe/end cap with a "gajillion holes drilled into it) we insert this into the primary and our pump hose is inserted into this. This acts as a strainer so that no seeds or skins make their way into the pump. The free run wine is then pumped to the tank.

Once the free run is out of the primary, we scoop the remainder (left at the bottom of the primary) into the press, close the press up, lock it down, and set the regulator for 10 bars of pressure. We "bucket brigade" the wine from the press into the tank.

This is where the real fun begins... We work the press pressure up to the 100 bar point slowly and in slight increments, then back the press off, and "fork it" (give the pressings a stir with a pair of large two pronged forks that I forged myself several years ago).

This part is much like a geological process. It has two ingredients, pressure and time. To resist the urge of rushing it and applying too much pressure all at once, we set up the circle of chairs, pull a couple of corks, and take turns emptying the bucket under the press.

Just goes to show you that free time can be enjoyed! Our total yield was about 5.5 liters per 10lb half-lug of grapes.

Note: Once we hit that "100 bar" point the first time, any wine coming off the press at this point is not sent to the tank. Instead, I fill a separate demijohn with the "Hard Pressings" which can run very tannic and bitter. Aged a bit longer (2 years), I find that it softens up nicely and is quite enjoyable.

So here are the pictures. Check out the color on this wine!!!!!

#1 is a shot of wine pouring from the press into a white bucket. Note the color.

#2 is a shot of the press spout during our "geological" period.

#3 shows the press spout and also one of the large ss strainers (that we also use to skim the cap).

#4 is wine being "bucket-brigaded" into the tank.

#5 is another shot, just like #3.

#6 It is my turn to swap out the bucket!

IMG_20140517_122026584.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20140517_134018415.jpg

IMG_20140517_114753475.jpg

IMG_20140517_134021995.jpg

narrow.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I meant to point that out... It is a NY Giants bucket. I saw them at our local Lowes and just had to get them. Everybody got a big kick out of it. We swear that the bucket is one reason our wine turns out so well... :)

Also, I like to take the spent skins and pile them up at the edge of the woods. I makes for a lot of entertainment. Watching deer get drunk sure beats any episode of "I Love Lucy".

Last edited:
Press is done. Whew!

I ended up just shy of 11 gallons. I will rack off the gross lees and pitch Bacchus MLB this weekend.

how many pounds did you start with?

8 lugs total, so 144lbs. It's not an insanely high yield, but I'm happy with it. I don't press the bejeezus out of the grapes.

Nice settling of the gross lees overnight, and they are pretty well compacted. I'm not going to lose much volume on this first racking, I think.

8 lugs total, so 144lbs. It's not an insanely high yield, but I'm happy with it. I don't press the bejeezus out of the grapes.

Nice settling of the gross lees overnight, and they are pretty well compacted. I'm not going to lose much volume on this first racking, I think.

The way I see it, you netted pretty well...

You yielded 5.2 liters per 18lb half-lug.

I did a hard press (kept separate in it's own dj) and yielded 5.5. By the time I was done, those grapes GAVE THEIR ALL!!!!!

Taking this forward, we have a difference here of about .3 liters per half-lug. That equates to only 2.4 liters of wine (or 3.2 bottles).

Pretty good yield considering you were doing a soft press. :db:r:h

Gorgeous color on that, John

I swear when I read about your 'parties', it feels like I'm at the party too :)

Racked off the gross lees (there wasn't much) and pitched Bacchus MLB yesterday. So far, this is the most active MLF I've had. Lots of bubbles. Temps in the upper 60's.

Racked off the gross lees (there wasn't much) and pitched Bacchus MLB yesterday. So far, this is the most active MLF I've had. Lots of bubbles. Temps in the upper 60's.

i did mine fFriday night. Yup, my gross lees was on the thin side also. Pitched mlb fFriday unite also. Since the gross lees was so thin, I plan on another reaching in 2 weeks. Pitch oakthen as well.

i did mine fFriday night. Yup, my gross lees was on the thin side also. Pitched mlb fFriday unite also. Since the gross lees was so thin, I plan on another reaching in 2 weeks. Pitch oakthen as well.

You do oak during MLF and barrel age?

this one i am not going to barrel age. just gonna add staves of xov oak.

no barrel simply because i do not have one and its the wrong time to purchase one. in november, i can get a 225 liter barrel for about 450. this time of year, the best price is over 700. should have bought a spare in november.

i like to add oak and mlb together. i have been told that mlb likes oak and tends to impregnate it. not too sure it is true though.

at any rate, i do my mlb rather late in the process.

Latest posts

Back