RJ Spagnols Chilean Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
Good Morning

Sherry and I put together a RJS Chilean Merlot Friday evening and all is going along perfectly. However, this is our first Red that we have made and I checked it this morning and the air lock has a dark tint of the Merlot in it should we be worried or do we need to change it or am I freaking out over nothing.

Hope all is well with everyone

Mike and Sherry
MSFGROUP

So you started it Friday evening and locked it down? Are you using a 7.5 gallon bucket or something smaller? I'm thinking you may just have gotten some surface foam up into the air lock. I'd have no qualms, if it were my batch, of opening the lid and taking a peek at what's going on.

BTW, many, if not most of us here, do not lock our primaries down. We'll wait until "secondary" to lock down. [Locking down, in my opinion and experience, right after pitching yeast in and of itself should not cause any issues.]

Last edited:
Thanks

Yes we have locked down the bucket, its a 7.5 gallon with about 3 inches of head space. I am hoping that its just foam going into the air lock and the gas is blowing it into it.

I may change it and not push it down as far. Thanks for the input on not locking down the primary I have never heard that before.

Thanks again

Mike and Sherry

Yes we have locked down the bucket, its a 7.5 gallon with about 3 inches of head space. I am hoping that its just foam going into the air lock and the gas is blowing it into it.

I may change it and not push it down as far. Thanks for the input on not locking down the primary I have never heard that before.

Thanks again

Mike and Sherry

I edited my post to add...

[Locking down, in my opinion and experience, right after pitching yeast in and of itself should not cause any issues.]

Back