WineXpert Chilean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burton

Junior
Reaction score
I tried searching the threads but came up with nothing. Anyone make this kit and if so, how did it turn out?

Yesterday I started the Primary. Something that is new to me, it came with wood chips. Started becoming active about 20 hours in and is vigorously bubbling now.

I'm going to try and be as patient as possible with this one. I know it's hard and I'm excited but I'll remember the 3 P's.

I'll keep everyone posted during the process.

I just started the same one yesterday, but mine didn't have wood chips, it did have a packet of oak though. Mine is bubbling, but not big bubbles, it's more like fizzing.

I just started the same one yesterday, but mine didn't have wood chips, it did have a packet of oak though. Mine is bubbling, but not big bubbles, it's more like fizzing.

Yea mine had the same packet of oak, guess it really wasn't wood chips. Anyways, good luck with yours let me know how things are going. It's good to have someone doing the same type.

Read and follow the directions and you will be fine It's just like any other kit.
It you get stuck ask here.

I made this one just a few months ago. I think it will be really good after it ages. I thought it tasted pretty good at bottling time.

I don't think I should wait too long before getting another batch going.

Malbec and Carmenere are my favorites

Everything is looking good so far. I transferred the wine over to the carboy at 1.010. It's been 5 days now and probably won’t get to checking it until day 11 or so. Bought a wine degasser so I don't have to do it manually. Anyways, that's all I have for an update, if anyone was curious.

Burton,
I'm just a few days ahead of you, I will degass and rack on Monday, after that I'll let it sit a little while, ( not much patience ) before I bottle. My S.G. was about the same, maybe a little lower 1.002 when I transfered it to the carboy.

sjzalew,

You about at the stabalizing and clearing stage? How are you going to go about this?

I was wondering if you could degas a few days in a row before adding any chemicals?

You about at the stabalizing and clearing stage? How are you going to go about this?
I was wondering if you could degas a few days in a row before adding any chemicals?
Personally, I would add the K-meta prior to degassing. Then the sorbate (if so inclined), and the fining agent.

Steve

I agree with cpfan, degassing will add 02 to your wine and your wine right now is dangerously low on sulfites.

Alright, well tomorrow I will add pack #2 metabisulphite and start the degassing process (a few days of degassing).

Either Sat. or Sun. I'll add packet #3 sorbate and packet #4 Chitosan to finish the chemical additives.

I'm going to tilt the carboy and leave until clear. After that I'm thinking about racking and leaving for an additional 30-60 days. I think ageing this wine will help.

Everyone agree with those steps?

Oh and another questions, topping off after all chemicals are added, necessary? What are the pros and cons?

Burton,
I ran into a problem with my S.G. I think the temp was too low, I'm going ot leave it alone for about 8 more days and check it, I've got the temp up to about 72 deg now, but I couldn't get the S.G. down below 1.001. I think when I get back I'll take the advice in this thread and do the same with degassing first and then adding the rest of the ingredients.
Steve

Alright, well tomorrow I will add pack #2 metabisulphite and start the degassing process (a few days of degassing).

Either Sat. or Sun. I'll add packet #3 sorbate and packet #4 Chitosan to finish the chemical additives.

I'm going to tilt the carboy and leave until clear. After that I'm thinking about racking and leaving for an additional 30-60 days. I think ageing this wine will help.

Everyone agree with those steps?
that sounds good.

Oh and another questions, topping off after all chemicals are added, necessary? What are the pros and cons?
topping off is necessary at this stage as there is no longer any fermentation going on which would provide CO2 protection against oxidation for the wine. pretty much any time after secondary is completed you want to be topping up or using another method to reduce headspace. (sanitized marbles).

So I've read more about the top off. Would you recommend using marbles or water for this type of wine?

Also I've read something about adding some type or wood and marble combination to sink the wood and add flavor while topping your wine... suggestions?

I've got a malbec in primary. It's the Grand Cru Malbec and it's been bubbling away with it's bag of oak in there.

So I've read more about the top off. Would you recommend using marbles or water for this type of wine?

Also I've read something about adding some type or wood and marble combination to sink the wood and add flavor while topping your wine... suggestions?

Depends.. on how much space you have left. If you think it can hold 1 bottle buy one of same type and add. If only a little space marbles work or add a little water IF you add marbels sanitize them 1 st.
Dont add anything till you rack from the secondayr and after you stabilize. (I only worry if its at least 750ml below the neck and I am gonna age it for 6-12 months.)
This was a kit right? which one again..

So let me get this straight since your directions seem a little different then the kit. You transfer the wine to another carboy before you stabalize and clear? My directions say stabalize and clear in the secondary (first) carboy, then after all stirring is done add water and let sit. After it has cleared and sediment is at bottom, transfer to another carboy for ageing.

I like the idea about using another store bought chilian malbec to top off.

Latest posts

Back