WineXpert Chilean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this one

The Chilean Malbec was my second wine and my first kit started back in July 09. Just opened a bottle last night (tried one a month ago, to) and it's improving. It's a decent table wine but I wish I had access to Malbec to top off with instead of the water. It's a little thin. Pretty color, though.
I don't have my notes here but I know I had a hard time getting the SG all the way down to what was recommended but it isn't sweet at all. I think my inexpensive hydrometer may have been a bit off. I also didn't degas nearly as much as you have and have had no problem.

I recently moved my wine to another carboy to make sure that while it's aging, it doesn't have a lot of sediment at the bottom. When I did so I took a little taste test and noticed mine was also light on body. I left some in the old carboy and filled the new carboy with some store bought Malbec. I figured by adding some more store bought wine, it would help.

Anyways, so far I'm disapointed in the wine. I know it's young and I have no problem allowing it to sit in my closet. I just wanted something with more of a kick and lively body.

Now remember I found out that my 6 gallon (yes it says 6 gallons on the bottom) carboy isn't really 6 gallons so it was watered down with about 4 bottles of water. Again I'm trying to make up for it. But looking past that, the taste isn't anything like what I buy at the store. I'm thinking I might stick with whites....

You'll want to get something that includes grape skins and oak. I'm not sure exactly who you buy from but you can call where you get your kit and they can reccomend a kit with skins for you.

Please let us know how it turns out in another 3 months or so. I bought an inexpensive Australian Malbec at Sams a week ago and it was so good I went back and bought a case. I was thinking of making the WE kit, but I sampled it at my local wine shop and it had sort of a bitter taste I thought. Could be that it hadn't aged at all I guess.

Do you find that the Kit wines have a bitter or "green" taste initially, and that it mellows after 3-6 months? I'm a newbie so I know I'm not using the right terms. Anyway I made a Rioja last year and at first I didn't like it much, but after 6 months I thought it compared well with the best $30 store-bought I've had.

WE kits we find tend to be on the thin side. The taste you had @ your local wine stop could have been from a lower end kit. Remember with kits you get what you pay for.
Malbec is a fine wine

Latest posts

Back