Chilean Cab - Sweet?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverprint

Junior
Reaction score
Posting this as we tried some Chilean buckets this round. Starting SG 1.090 Finished at .996 - the cab is still really sweet tasting. It tastes like it didn't ferment dry. I have tried several SG readings with two different hydrometers- all show its done - it feels like the cab should not be this sweet. Anyone else have this experience?

The hydrometer doesn't lie. If it still tastes sweet, I would suspect the overly fresh fruity taste of new wine or a high glycerol wine. Both taste sort of sweet. That fades in time. What's the pH and TA? I've seen wine that is high pH or low TA have a flabby but sweetish taste.

I would not worry.

I would say high alcohol, which can make the wine seem sweet, but your starting sugar level doesn’t that.
The wines my friends and families seem to like the most are those that are fruity or sweet. I worked at a large semi conductor manufacturer and when we found a fault, we would try to figure out how to call it a feature. I’d run with it!

I agree with everything above. It's definitely dry, I normally refer to it as a perception of sweetness either from the glycerol, alcohol or perhaps a higher percentage of unfermentable sugars. Time and oaking will definitely reduce the fruitiness which may also contribute to the perception of sweetness. I have a similar issue with a 2020 Tannat that is in neutral barrels and I'm not sure I want to oak it. It's very pleasant and I might take Norcal's idea and run with it.

Latest posts

Back