Chilean Cab Sav pressed today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba1

Reaction score
I picked up 252 lbs of cab sav at Gino pinto's last Saturday pitched RC 212 and co-inoculated with VP-41 MLF I used Go-Ferm for the first time to hydrate my yeast all seemed to go smooth checked with a hydrometer today and was at 0 brix so I pressed and ended up with about 16 or 17 gal I'll let it finish up and drop some more lees then rack into carboys topped up and let it finish MLF. IMG_1753.JPGIMG_1755.JPGIMG_1756.JPG

I picked up 252 lbs of cab sav at Gino pinto's last Saturday pitched RC 212 and co-inoculated with VP-41 MLF I used Go-Ferm for the first time to hydrate my yeast all seemed to go smooth checked with a hydrometer today and was at 0 brix so I pressed and ended up with about 16 or 17 gal I'll let it finish up and drop some more lees then rack into carboys topped up and let it finish MLF. View attachment 54517View attachment 54518View attachment 54519

Mike, are you pressing on carpet?

I pitched my Cab and Pinot on Monday. The brix on both were 21 (1.088 SG) so by a recommendation I ordered 2 liters of red grape concentrate (68 brix), turns out I didn't do the calc with Fermcalc properly and only bought enough to raise it to 22 brix so I added sugar to get them to about 24.5 this was on Thursday. This morning the Pinot averages 1.023 and the Cab 1.010. each are in 4 separate buckets about 4 gallons each and each bucket has a different yeast. I don't think I'll be pressing until Monday or Tuesday. Yours probably fermented faster since you did it in a larger container and I would assume the temp of the wine was higher. Mine a hovering around 76-78 degrees.

I put all 14 boxes in a 44 gal brute and used go-ferm for the first time it took off pretty quick and fermented around 78 to 82 at its peek let us know how the different yeasts work out.

There is a guy on Craigslist selling his wine equipment. He has six 2.5 gallon carboys which I never knew they made. He wants to sell everything as a package and wants way too much. If he accepts my offer to buy the 6 I'll keep each on separate. I figure I should get 2.5 gallons out of the 4 gallon buckets. Never did this before, I normally just combine them all after press.

He wants to sell everything as a package and wants way too much.

Isn’t that how it always goes on CL [emoji38].

I always respond that I understand that you want to sell as a package but I’m only interested in X so let me know if you change your mind.

Usually get a response once they realize they are never going to sell their entire winery to one person.

He noted that he has accumulated it over many years but somehow expects somebody else to drop $3k at once. Best of luck to him!

Back