Chilean blend help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghWineNewBee

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking towards this spring's order of grapes from Consumer Fresh in pgh and trying to decide on what to order. I'm leaning towards a Chilean red blend and was thinking being Merlot forward as I have about 12 gal of Cab aging. Thinking of a Merlot/CabSauv/CabFr blend but open to any ideas. I tasted a French Bordeaux of a similar blend and didn't love it. Looking to do about 16-18 18# lugs. Thanks so much. This site has been a huge help gathering information.

This site has been hugely helpful to me as well.

The merlot/cab sauv/cab fr blend could be a very good blend. But you might want to consider going with a more South American centric grape within the blend.

Maybe a blend of merlot/cab sauv/malbec or merlot/cab sauv/carmenere or malbec/cab sauv/petite syrah.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I just started doing the bucket juice wines 2 years ago. Since the juice was coming from Chile, I did some research and chose a wine that was a specialty/unique to Chile. So I went with Carmenere and liked it enough to make it a second time last year. No blending, but added 2 ounces of medium toast American oak chips for 2 weeks before bottling. Both batches are aging great.

Just tasted my 2018 Carmenere/Petite Verdot blend. Really coming around. Earlier on, the green pepper was a little overwhelming, but that has faded and I now have some nice peppercorn, dark fruit and cocoa notes going on. Time for a soak in the barrel.

I'm looking towards this spring's order of grapes from Consumer Fresh in pgh and trying to decide on what to order. I'm leaning towards a Chilean red blend and was thinking being Merlot forward as I have about 12 gal of Cab aging. Thinking of a Merlot/CabSauv/CabFr blend but open to any ideas. I tasted a French Bordeaux of a similar blend and didn't love it. Looking to do about 16-18 18# lugs. Thanks so much. This site has been a huge help gathering information.
Drop the Cab Sav. I'd go for a 15 to 20 % Malbec and a similar ratio of Franc with Merlot to complete the overall picture. Now the question - which oak to use.

I made Chardonnay and Merlot last year from Chilean juice buckets from Consumers. The Chardonnay is excellent. The merlot not bad but I don’t think I’d buy it again. I’m thinking I’m going to try a Malbec for a red this spring.

I didn’t think Consumers sold Chilean grapes? I thought it was juice only. If I can get grapes, I may have to put more thought into this lol.

I made Chardonnay and Merlot last year from Chilean juice buckets from Consumers. The Chardonnay is excellent. The merlot not bad but I don’t think I’d buy it again. I’m thinking I’m going to try a Malbec for a red this spring.

I didn’t think Consumers sold Chilean grapes? I thought it was juice only. If I can get grapes, I may have to put more thought into this lol.
Could I ask how long did you wait before the Chardonnay became excellent as am thinking about knocking one together for 'domestic control'.cheers

Could I ask how long did you wait before the Chardonnay became excellent as am thinking about knocking one together for 'domestic control'.cheers

It’s still in the carboy from last May. I just sampled it a couple times here and there. I could bottle mine at any time now for what I like. It’s hard to say exactly how long because it comes down to how much oak flavor you want and what you’re looking for in it. The safe bet would probably be 6 months minimum, no matter what.

It’s still in the carboy from last May. I just sampled it a couple times here and there. I could bottle mine at any time now for what I like. It’s hard to say exactly how long because it comes down to how much oak flavor you want and what you’re looking for in it. The safe bet would probably be 6 months minimum, no matter what.
Thanks for that. You sound like me. I like to keep wine in 10 litre carboys for at least nine months then oak with spirals before then bottling and holding until it meets my taste test. I must give the Chilean chard a try. Cheers for that.

Looking for importers working in South America. Chilean importer with license would be great to meet.

Looks like a couple pittsburgh locals. I live in greensburg, just east of pitt. Check out collinwood wine company in cleaveland. They have chilean cab franc. I used consumer produce this last fall but this spring im planning on heading up to collinwood for my chilean grapes (and chard juice). They offer to crush on site for free. Considering i dont own a crusher, this is AWESOME! No real opinion on quality vs consumer produce as i have limited experience but they do have slightly better prices

Anyone with any suggestions for a blend with Chilean Malbec? Looking to be 70% + Malbec. Thanks so much. Will be doing from grapes.

I’ve found both Malbec and Carmenare from Chilean juice to produce wines I enjoy very much with no blending. I’ve also made Vinters Chilean Malbec kits but to add more body to these kits I have added frozen black raspberries to the juice concentrate in the primary before adding the yeast. Results have been excellent even when drinking young. My process involves putting about 10 pounds of previously frozen berries in a fruit bag into a 7.5 gallon fermenting bucket. Adding about 6 or 7 pounds of sugar and enough hot water to cover the berries, adding Camden, pressing berry bag and mixing then wait a day and add pectin enzyme, wine tannin, yeast nutrient then mix and add juice concentrate from kit and water to fill bucket to 6 gallon plus mark such that when berry bag is removed about 6 gallons of must will remain. The berry bag will float so push it down and press it periodically during primary fermentation. When primary is done, pull berry bag and let drain into primary to extract as much wine from the berry pulp as possible without pressing it so much as to cause pulp to be pushed through the bag. Follow remainder of kit instructions or allow to remain in secondary for extended time to clear. Your choice.

Latest posts

Back