Chicken Wire Grow Tubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_Grower

Junior
Reaction score
I'm about to plant my first vineyard (about 20 vines) and wanted to know how effective chicken wire would be as a grow tube instead of traditional blue tubes? We have both rabbits and deer so some sort of protection is needed. I was thinking of rolling up the wire to a 7'' diameter at 3' high. The grapes will be trellised as TWC around 5'. Is there anything I need to be concerned about using chicken wire? Thanks.
D

I would think deer could trample etc, if they wanted to. I use it for rabbits, maybe hardware cloth would be better. Wire it to rebar. The vines tend to grow through the chicken wire, so the deer could eat the vines.

the grow tube with plastic is normally used to protect the grapes from weather and any herbicide spray you may be using to keep grass control. they should fend off any deer and rabbits. the chicken wire will not provide the weather protection or spray protection. one trick I used with plastic is to raise the grow tube above the growth once the grape started to peek out the top. deer loved to eat the tops. as each grape had its own bamboo pole it was easy to raise the tube for this protection. I sometimes used this in my second year also.

I'm going to give hardware cloth a shot. I like the idea of being able to reuse it for other things later on. If I was plating more vines it HC would not be cost effective at all.

Latest posts

Back