Chestnut

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
I've been reading about people aging their aglianico's on chestnut instead of oak and wanted to give it a try. Is there a supplier who sells chestnut wood for the home winemaker or am I gonna have to toasty my own?

My only experience with chestnut was a 25 gallon chestnut barrel that I had about 20 years ago when I lived in New York. The barrel was from Canada and it imparted a different taste to the wine which I found less desirable than oak. That is not to say that you would be displeased with it but I would urge caution in the amount you make the first time until you are sure you like the taste. It seemed a less subtle taste than oak. I ended up making two planters out of the barrel. I am not sure where you could find chestnut in chips or cubes. I would try More Wine in California or perhaps a Canadian supplier.

The sell them up here in the LHBS instead of oak. Coming to Canada any time soon?

Latest posts

Back