cherry wine yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod

Junior
Reaction score
i am looking to make a cherry wine as sour as possible while still being drinkable.
i was going to use 
Montrachet Yeast and add sour acid blends untill liking but i started to think what about or Sherry Yeast/ cider yeast. anyone with experience using either of those with cherries?

IF you use the Montrechet, make sure you keep the nutrients up. I would add half the nutrient at the beginning and the other half when it gets down to 1.050 to 1.060 or so. Arne.

Thank you for the tip i read 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient a gallon.Does that number sound acceptable?

Be sure to split the dose of nutrient--half when the yeast takes off, second half at 1/3 sugar reduction.

Thank you for the tip i read 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient a gallon.Does that number sound acceptable?

My yeast container recommends 1 - 1.5 tsp per gallon. With Montrachet, I would stick to the 1.5. As mentioned, step it in. 1 tsp in the beginning, 1/2 tsp. around around 1.050, assuming your starting SG is around 1.090.

i like giving some of my wines a tart/sour finish by using small amounts of crab apples, around 1 lb of crab apple per 10 to 15 pound of fruit
Dawg

i am looking to make a cherry wine as sour as possible while still being drinkable.
i was going to use 
Montrachet Yeast and add sour acid blends untill liking but i started to think what about or Sherry Yeast/ cider yeast. anyone with experience using either of those with cherries?

Latest posts

Back