Cherry Wine Yeast Suggestion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
It was my understanding that Lalvin 71B-1122 would be the best yeast for cherry wine in dealing with the malic acid. However, the wine/yeast pairing chart I saw in the WineMaker magazine recommends Lalvin EC1118. Any thoughts?

I use the EC-1118 for all of my fruit wines. Have had great success. Others here use this or a few other types. Personal preference.

I think if you plan on sweetening at all at the end, that will even out the malic acid harshness just fine. EC-1118 is a go-to yeast for a lot of people because it is very reliable. I've used it several times and it hasn't failed yet.

The 71B-1122 will reduce malic acid content, and there are yeasts made by other brands that do the same thing. I used it in my cherry barbera grape blend because it will be dry and I wanted to reduce the malic acid a bit.

An added note, I would use the 71b 1122 because I seldom back sweeten. Alaso the Red Star Premeir Cuv'ee is the same yeast but dioffernt manufactor as EC 1118

An added note, I would use the 71b 1122 because I seldom back sweeten. Alaso the Red Star Premeir Cuv'ee is the same yeast but dioffernt manufactor as EC 1118
How is the performance of Red Star Premeir Cuvee? I tried for Cherry wine only, but found it slow starter.

I used EC 1118 for a one gallon batch of cherry wine. We are at bottling and it tastes great, but is very slightly effervescent. Should I add stabilizer or is that how EC1118 finishes (noted it is for sparkling wines??)

If this is wine made from this years fruit, the wine is very young. I’m actually surprised it’s clear enough to bottle. The fizziness is then most likely due to CO2 gas left over from fermentation.

Stabilizer is not part of this issue, unless you added more sugar.

Choices going forward as I see it, are to not bottle, but let the wine bulk age another 3 months. Add some Kmeta and keep the wine topped off to reduce the airspace in the carboy.

Or, if you have to bottle, give the wine a few stirs to see what foaming you generate. As always, add some Kmeta before bottling. Don’t be surprised if sediment eventually drops out once the wine is bottled.

I used EC 1118 for a one gallon batch of cherry wine. We are at bottling and it tastes great, but is very slightly effervescent. Should I add stabilizer or is that how EC1118 finishes (noted it is for sparkling wines??)
Everything that Bob said. Your wine is not ready for bottling.

What is the SG and how old is the wine?

Sparkling wines are typically made by adding a fresh dose of yeast and sugar to a completed wine, then crown capping it in a champagne bottle. There can be more to it than that, but it's the basics.

Do not bottle a sparkling wine in a regular bottle, and never secure the cork with a wire or other mechanism. Bottles are either rated for pressure, or unrated. Unrated means the bottle has no tolerance for pressure -- it may survive pressurization, or a weak spot may blow, e.g., you have a grenade.

It was my understanding that Lalvin 71B-1122 would be the best yeast for cherry wine in dealing with the malic acid. However, the wine/yeast pairing chart I saw in the WineMaker magazine recommends Lalvin EC1118. Any thoughts?

I have used both. I preferred the wine with the 71B.
EC1118 is a powerhouse and will vigorously ferment most musts with little issue.
71B converts some of the malic acid and is a gentler ferment which I have found leaves more fruity aromas in the wine where as 1118 tends to blow them out with the co2.
EC1118 is often recommended for beginners as it is considered fairly fool proof.

Latest posts

Back