Cherry Wine Problemsq

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Hi,

I started a cherry wine on August 8th. Recipe was for 3 gallons
recipe:
21 pounds of bing cherries
5 pounds of sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
3 campden tables
Lavin 1118 yeast
SG was 1.080
Acidity .60%

Sept 13th hydrometer reading was .992

On Sept 28th I added campden tablets, sorbated and added 2 cups of sugar to backsweeten to 1.010. Bottled Oct 17th. Wine tasted great at this point

On November 21st I decided to open a bottle to try this wine. When I opened it, it foamed big time. It was apparent that it was fermenting in the bottle. I did not want a fizzy cherry wine, so my husband and I opened all the bottles put it back into a carboy added more campden and sorbate (I think the sorbate I initially used had expired I believe it was over 6 months old). The Hydrometer reading at this point was 1.010, on November 28th it was 1.020, on December 5 it was 1.030, I tasted it and it had a fizzy taste to it. Since I sorbated it I do not believe it is fermenting, I think it might have a lot of co2. I did not degass this wine. The acidity is at .65%.

The wine has a very dry taste to it, actually there doesn't not seem to be much cherry flavor to it, but it did when I first bottled it. Would having a lot of co2 cause the hydrometer reading to rise?

I did degass tonight, I will take another reading tomorrow night to see but I wanted to hear anyone elses thoughts on this.

thanks for your help

Julie

If its to dry try making a f-pac and back sweeten

make an FPack with some frozen cherry, add kmeta and sorbate again then degas a couple more times.
What do you use to degas? A drill mounted mixer works best for me.

I think it did re ferment and now all the added co2 from fermentation is preventing ypu from getting a good sg reading. SG's go down not up!

potassium sorbate

i have found that every one recamends 1/2 tsp per gal but i use 1 tsp per gal because if i dont the wine always refermints so i think this is your problem then de gass the wine with a drill mounted whip and put wine in bucket with more cherries to get the flavor back then rack clear and bottle

I can't help you but it is refreshing to see that Super Moderators have issues and questions also and are still learning. It just goes to show that on this forum everyone puts their pants on the same way.:h

I can't help you but it is refreshing to see that Super Moderators have issues and questions also and are still learning. It just goes to show that on this forum everyone puts their pants on the same way.:h

Heck are you kidding me??? Did I ever tell ya about my Jalapeño Chenin Blanc? We are always learning from everyone else on here and still make mistakes. Its always a learning experience, you just hope it's someone else that makes the mistake, LOL.

i have found that every one recamends 1/2 tsp per gal but i use 1 tsp per gal because if i dont the wine always refermints so i think this is your problem then de gass the wine with a drill mounted whip and put wine in bucket with more cherries to get the flavor back then rack clear and bottle

Did either one of you noticed that this was a post that is over a year old! Thanks for the advice but my problem was old sorbate. And the wine is gone, drank this up awhile ago, added new sorbate and an fpack. Turned out very good.

And yes, I do get stumped and will ask on here when I do cuz you all are a great bunch of people and are willing to help.

Last edited:
Heck No. I didn't even look at the post dates. My Bad. Glad it turned out well!:br

Heck are you kidding me??? Did I ever tell ya about my Jalapeño Chenin Blanc? We are always learning from everyone else on here and still make mistakes. Its always a learning experience, you just hope it's someone else that makes the mistake, LOL.

Man I tell you I have learned so much on here in the past year, and your'e right, I hope the mistakes are others but I am sure that this won't be the case as we move forward.:dg

Latest posts

Back