Cherry berry plum with cacao nibs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigitte

Reaction score
I posted this over in wine making but realize it probably needs to be in this thread. I ran across this frozen fruit at wal Mart. I have not purchased yet.
Was wondering if anyone has a good idea of how to use it for wine making ? Any ideas or suggestions??
Would the nibs work ok in primary ??
Thanks for any help !IMG_3610.jpgIMG_3611.jpg

Wow, that looks very good/interesting.

I would buy 3 of them and make two gallons of wine (using 4.5 lbs. per gal.). SG of 1.090-1.095, appropriate additions, ie: nutrient, acid blend, kmeta, tannin, etc.

When done, backsweeten to your liking.

I may have to see if our Walmart has this blend. Not sure about the nibs but would be willing to give it a go. I have added Lindt 85% chocolate to carboys while aging before.

Another thought ... would this make a port? Just wondering as I have never made a port

In case anyone is interested. I used a bag of this fruit and cacacoa nibs by adding them to a carboy then racking over a triple berry wine onto them. Left for a week then poured through a strainer bag. Still needs some aging but the chocolate taste comes through at the end. Very interesting wine.

I would use 2 bags per gallon. AND I would definitely try making a dessert wine out of it as well

2 bags equals 6 lbs of fruit per gallon and with blueberries that yields a great solid tasting wine. With plums and Sweet cherry.... I keep thinking of the plum wines I've had that were so close to being liquors. (ARRGH I don't have anymore plum wine around.)

Yup.... This might be on my list of wines to make. I have sweet and pie cherry trees, plum trees and blueberry bushes. If a late frost doesn't wipe out my plums some year,.... I will have to do this.

Hmmm where can I get a Cocoa tree?

:)

Sounds like you have a plan!! I may buy some more of the frozen bags and do a desert wine [emoji485]

ARRGH Can't find that Cherry Berry Plum at Walmart in our area. Must be a corporate decision not to sell in their own home office area stores.

Think I'm going to hold off for now. I looked on my shelf and I have 6 bottles of tart Cherry concentrate 1 bottle of Black Cherry concentrate, and 1 gallon on Bing Cherry juice. The concentrates are supposed to be good for 1 gallon of Cherry Juice but I use 4 bottles in a 3 gallon batch. Then I have 4 plum trees and 30 blueberry bushes. Someday I'll get some plums off those trees if they don't get frozen after blooming.

Those frozen Cherry Berry Plum packages looked like a quick start approach.

BUT, looking at the calendar... I've got to start getting seeds in peat pots soon for the garden and get the garden beds ready. The cycle never stops here in NW Ark. That's if we don't float away. 7 inches of rain in the last 10 days. 3.5 last 24. Thankfully it wasn't snow.

BUT you have to keep us posted on how that turns out.

Well hey neighbor! I am in southeast Missouri. We are getting a lot of rain now as well. In fact out creek is up and I can’t get out. You certainly have some good stuff on the shelf. I will definitely keep you posted this wine

Ok But can you help me out. Today there is the big bright light in the sky. Don't remember seeing that before.

(10 days with rain everyday and only a few minutes of blue sky for that time.)

This is the cluttered area where I store the wine and supplies. Just put cement blocks in the center of the rack. Having that collapse would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

KIMG0634.JPG

Ok But can you help me out. Today there is the big bright light in the sky. Don't remember seeing that before.

(10 days with rain everyday and only a few minutes of blue sky for that time.)

This is the cluttered area where I store the wine and supplies. Just put cement blocks in the center of the rack. Having that collapse would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

View attachment 46832
Kinda looks like my basement only mine is more cluttered!(and hey-it could of been snow!)

Yes, Snow would have brought the area to it's knees. Even at a modest 10-1 ration that about 80 inches of snow. That would be a Northern Minnesota winter. I'll take the rain and be happy. Only worry now is that they forecast mid to upper 60s this week = danger of trees starting to bloom and that would kill all my fruit tree chances for the season.

Have you bought those bags of Cherry Berry Plum? They don't even have any of that brand at our neighborhood Walmart grocery stores. Perhaps they only carry it at the larger Super Walmart stores. We have couple of those in our area (NW Ark - Home of Walmart) I found their own Great Value brand but their mix is Blueberries, Cherries, and Strawberry. With the terrible luck I've had with Strawberry wines, I will wait and see if I can do that mix on my own.

I bought some several months ago. I have not looked lately. I didn’t ferment the mix.. I racked a triple berry wine that was aging in secondary onto a carboy I had stuffed the plum berry cacao nibs into. I let the wine sit in the fruit for about a week then racked off the fruit/cacao .. I had to pour the wine through a straining cloth to clear it. I wasn’t sure if it would be wise to ferment the cacao.

They were in the frozen fruit section with the bags of fruit for making smoothies.

Yes, Snow would have brought the area to it's knees. Even at a modest 10-1 ration that about 80 inches of snow. That would be a Northern Minnesota winter. I'll take the rain and be happy. Only worry now is that they forecast mid to upper 60s this week = danger of trees starting to bloom and that would kill all my fruit tree chances for the season.

I ran by the super Wal-Mart today and they have the bags. 3 pounds $9.98.

Grab it before they stop carrying it. Our super Wal-Mart nearest only has great value brand and very small packages of pineapple and mango. I'm going to wait for our fruit trees to produce - but.... Doggone Plum tree buds are starting to crack open on our biggest and best looking plum tree and we are still 6 weeks from average last freeze. This plum tree has done this almost every year. Well some day...maybe.

Grab it before they stop carrying it. Our super Wal-Mart nearest only has great value brand and very small packages of pineapple and mango. I'm going to wait for our fruit trees to produce - but.... Doggone Plum tree buds are starting to crack open on our biggest and best looking plum tree and we are still 6 weeks from average last freeze. This plum tree has done this almost every year. Well some day...maybe.

Yea I am thinking about getting enough for a 3 gallon batch.
This early spring weather is getting harder and harder on fruit trees. We waited to prune our grapes hoping to keep them dormant a little longer.

Latest posts

Back