Cherry berry plum with cacao nibs

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Brigitte, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Brigitte

Brigitte Junior Member Supporting Member

I posted this over in wine making but realize it probably needs to be in this thread. I ran across this frozen fruit at wal Mart. I have not purchased yet.
    Was wondering if anyone has a good idea of how to use it for wine making ? Any ideas or suggestions??
    Would the nibs work ok in primary ??
    Thanks for any help ! IMG_3610.jpg IMG_3611.jpg

2. wineforfun

wineforfun Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi

Wow, that looks very good/interesting.

I would buy 3 of them and make two gallons of wine (using 4.5 lbs. per gal.). SG of 1.090-1.095, appropriate additions, ie: nutrient, acid blend, kmeta, tannin, etc.

When done, backsweeten to your liking.

I may have to see if our Walmart has this blend. Not sure about the nibs but would be willing to give it a go. I have added Lindt 85% chocolate to carboys while aging before.

3. Brigitte

@wineforfun... I may just have to try it like you suggested !

4. Brigitte

Another thought ... would this make a port? Just wondering as I have never made a port

5. Brigitte

In case anyone is interested. I used a bag of this fruit and cacacoa nibs by adding them to a carboy then racking over a triple berry wine onto them. Left for a week then poured through a strainer bag. Still needs some aging but the chocolate taste comes through at the end. Very interesting wine.

6. Scooter68

Scooter68 Still getting started at 26 batches & 2 1./2 years Supporting Member

I would use 2 bags per gallon. AND I would definitely try making a dessert wine out of it as well

2 bags equals 6 lbs of fruit per gallon and with blueberries that yields a great solid tasting wine. With plums and Sweet cherry.... I keep thinking of the plum wines I've had that were so close to being liquors. (ARRGH I don't have anymore plum wine around.)

Yup.... This might be on my list of wines to make. I have sweet and pie cherry trees, plum trees and blueberry bushes. If a late frost doesn't wipe out my plums some year,.... I will have to do this.

Hmmm where can I get a Cocoa tree?

:)

Brigitte likes this.