Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just trimmed the rest of the vines. Everything is pushing now. We have been in the 40's for low temps all the last week or two now with highs around 70-75. Everything is out or in bloom. We are not out of the danger zone for sure!

I just trimmed the rest of the vines. Everything is pushing now. We have been in the 40's for low temps all the last week or two now with highs around 70-75. Everything is out or in bloom. We are not out of the danger zone for sure!

It sounds like the weather here in CT.

You could knit him a little muffler:f

Seriously, you could try sprinklers. We use them out here for cherry blossoms and sometimes for grapes.

We are holding at 33 and steady. We have 8-10" now. Mrs IB had to cancel her mani-pedi in Santa fe. Going to get to fire up my snow blower for the first time in several years.

Thank heavens I got one with an electric start! :db Hopefully grapes will be protected by the blanket of wet snow.......

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! Just wait, this is coming your way next week! Gotta spread the love here.....

The skies are clearing, the wind is back and we are now ~42F and its melting fast. Big question will be how cold will it be in the morning. Forecast are kind of all over the place but we could see ~25F in the morning.

You have some weird weather there! I thought we were bad here but I think that beats us for this year for strangeness.

I am hoping that the snow melts quickly there but waits until the next day for you to keep the vines insulated overnight. We are into Sunday morning here now so you will probably be starting to warm up from overnight by the time you read this. I hope this was the last spell of cold weather for you for this year.

Here the last few days have been really warm and have pushed the buds quickly. Normally the American varieties of grapes bud out a couple weeks later than the hybrids but this year it makes no difference. The Concords are swollen just as much as anything else here.

Well we sorta dodged a bullet and only got down to 30F for a short period just before sunrise and we are already climbing and up to 34F at 0730. I did cover the Marquette with some old blankets. The Noiret and Corot Noir are way behind and just now budding so hopefully they will be better protected. I will uncover things in a bit and keep an eye on them today looking for damage or lack thereof.

80 Friday here, 72 yesterday and so sunny both days I needed sunblock and still burned and then this AM it was 34 and cloudy and by 11 it was sleeting. I tried pruning but my hands were frozen so I switched over to starting high tunnel construction.

I hope the Marquette pull through but now you are just confirming why you are replacing there at your location.

Looks like covering them from the top wire and post helped to some extent. Seeing some definite wilting on some buds and then ones next to wilted ones seem fine (at least for the moment). I did have a portion of a Marquette that was left exposed and it is pretty toast. I planted my new Noriet vines in a big bucket several weeks ago and they are starting to bud now. I will wait a few more weeks (just in case) and then start the swap out process.

One of these vines is NOT Marquette! LOL We got down to 34 this AM but supposed to warm up nicely throughout the week and be close to 80 by the weekend. Sunny skies and no precip.

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

Quite a spring we are having!! I had a 44 degree swing here in one day. 37 in the morning, 81 in the afternoon. Lord almighty!! Now it's thunder and lightning, please, no hail!!
Your vines look good though.

Latest posts

Back