Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sipping a Menage Chardonnay.....excellent flavor profile! Gonna measure the SG to gauge dryness for mine. Only slight oakiness....which is spot on 4 me. Cheers all ✌

Chardonnay does well with oaking,oak in, or wood french or Hungarian , American will also do along with wine tannins.
In the secondary add oak tannins again 1 teaspoon, that should do it check n your PH. SHOULDN'T exceed 3.5 .

Gonna snag the MV Chardonnay when it goes on sale (maybe Labor Day weekend?).

Plan to use D47 yeast. Will toss some light toast oak chips in primary and then an American oak Med toast spiral in during bulk aging -- will go 3-6months...still undecided.

Atleast that's my current plan :)

Cheers!

Plan to use D47 yeast. Will toss some light toast oak chips in primary and then an American oak Med toast spiral in during bulk aging -- will go 3-6months...still undecided.

Cheers!
Ordered! 15% off all kits at midwestsupplies.com currently! (snagged an MV Cab Franc too)

Cheers!

Ordered! 15% off all kits at midwestsupplies.com currently! (snagged an MV Cab Franc too)

Cheers!
The problem with midwest supplies is that the listed regular rice of the kits jumps all over the place. Inflating the retail price to make you think you're getting a bargain with a coupon is not the best business model.

The problem with midwest supplies is that the listed regular rice of the kits jumps all over the place. Inflating the retail price to make you think you're getting a bargain with a coupon is not the best business model.
Been watching it for quite awhile now & it had been steady at $85 (pre-discount) -- and no shipping if $125 bought - hence the 2nd kit 👍

Different can be good ,after your taste buds get aguanted with the flavors 😋.
I'm still perplexed by the taste of my Gewurtztraminer experiment. It's not awful — just really different. My wife and three of her friends liked it enough to select it over their usual ($10-$12) commercial whites over the summer.
I'm glad I didn't have to pitch it but I don't think I'll be making it again.

Cheers!
2.5 months into bulk aging...just did a small sampling and OMG is this awesome! Silky smooth mouth feel, great aroma...just the right amount of oakiness...wow....impressed!

Attachments

• 0121221929.jpg
    0121221929.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 19
I have a Wine Expert Reserve Australian Chardonnay in primary right now. I’ve been trying to decide if I’m going to add oak sticks while aging. It sounds like a lot of you guys do. I think I have a French medium I’ll use and leave it for around 3 months.

I have a Wine Expert Reserve Australian Chardonnay in primary right now. I’ve been trying to decide if I’m going to add oak sticks while aging. It sounds like a lot of you guys do. I think I have a French medium I’ll use and leave it for around 3 months.
It depends on what you like. I made the WE Reserve Australian Chardonnay in 2020 for my son's wedding reception in 2021, and used no aging oak, just the fermentation oak that was included. The wine has a seasoning of oak, not a heavy flavoring

My son gave me just over a year's warning that I needed to make wine, so I went with no oak to ensure it would be ready. Everyone was pleased with the outcome.

FYI -- The MV Winemaker's Reserve Chardonnay is definitely a winner! Lotsa positive feedback from All that have tried it.

Will be ordering another :)

Cheers!
And away she goes :)

My 2nd batch of the MV Chardonnay underway via same protocol as my 1st batch last year -- using D47, provided light oak chips during fermentation and will then age on 1 light toast American oak spiral for 6months.

Cheers!

Try using a champagne yeast next time excellent finish very smooth.

Latest posts

Back