Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

G259

Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to go lower end for my first kit, to see the ins and outs. I guess that you really do get what you pay for, or less in my case! I'll look at RJS and WE, seeing that I have read some solid reviews.

G259

Reaction score
Yeah, I read that. It's not as much about the price, as it is about the value. I'm searching a new terrain.

G259

Reaction score
OK, I had a bit of the shmeg settling in the fridge, and I got a half glass out of it. It was thin (as I suspected), but it tasted ok. It's drinkable, but I'll wait longer.

MHSKIBUM

Reaction score
Latest tweak of a cheap kit with surprising results so far.
I just sampled my tweak of a cheap Costco Gewurtztraminer kit (Cellar Master - RJS' bottom level kit - 60 bottles for $99 Cdn but I bought it on sale for $89 Cdn including tax & delivery.)
I love Alsatian wines, especially this fragrant variety with noticeable floral overtones. I was skeptical about Costco's Gewurtztraminer because I've had commercially produced versions from North American vineyards and that often missed the mark by a very wide margin despite a premium price.
While not a great Gewurtztraminer, it definitely had the right nose. I now make it as one of my four go-to every day wines.
Okay now for the tweak. I've had good luck using green and light purple table grapes to add a bit of complexity to a cheap Costco chardonnay kit. Why not give it a go with the Gewurtztraminer, I thought.
I started a batch on July 1 with added light purple table grape skins and a 1/2 cup of Sun Maid organic raisins. I also shorted the water to 5 gals from the recommended 6 as I do with all cheap kits. S.G. to start was 1.100 bang on. I removed the skins on July 16 and S.G. was 0.992!!!
Just before adding sorbate, KMeta, and fining agents I took a small sampling.
Surprise! The wine in no way resembled Gewurtztraminer. The flavour was obviously rough but very complex.
I don't know whether this recipe will be a keeper or not but I'm anxious to see what I'll end up with over time — good only for Sangria or something special.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Raisins and whites don't complement each other,only green or like color graps no dark.
The G wine has a flavor profile of it's own, just a 1/2 tablespoon of grapefruit zest as a enhancement.

MHSKIBUM

Reaction score
I should have passed this by you beforehand. That said, the flavour isn't awful, just different from any wine I can remember.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Different can be good ,after your taste buds get aguanted with the flavors 😋.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Gonna target my 1st Chardonnay for the early fall & have a few ?s :

1. For those adding grapefruit zest - do ya prefer a yellow or pink gf?

2. How much zest is half a gf?

3. For those that bulk age -- how long are ya doing it for?

4. Any other tips for making a tasty Chardonnay?

Cheers ✌

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
2. How much zest is half a gf?
Ummmm ... half of the zest of a whole grapefruit. ;)

Seriously, it's going to vary with the size of the grapefruit -- they vary in size from a large orange to small basketball. Pick a "medium sized" grapefruit, one with evenly colored peel and no blemishes. I use a purpose-made zester that makes shreds -- I have used a paring knife but got too much pith.

To answer your question, my best guess is about 1/4 cup, although I'd simply zest half of a grapefruit and not worry about measuring. Or measure after you're done and use that as a yardstick for future batches.

3. For those that bulk age -- how long are ya doing it for?
I'd do 6 to 9 months. Some folks bulk age longer, but I don't for whites, as the lifespan is shorter than reds.

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer
Reaction score
I found a little zest goes a long way. You can always add a little more when ageing the wine. I'm not sure if grapefruit is a common aroma or flavour characteristic of Chardonnay. Is this a wine made from a kit?

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Yellow grapefruit Zest 1/2 , depending upon the size, less is more added to the primary or secondary, primary is preferred its not so
much for taste its for acidity which imparts a crispness to the finish.

Myrum

Junior
Reaction score
Adding grapefruit zest in the primary or secondary picks up the taste profile and adds a crispness to the finish
I hate to have to ask this, but is this the grated skin off of a grapefruit? Just want to check this out before I start a Chardonnay kit. Could you also fill me in on the need for tannins or not, type of oak for a heavy oak finish and anything else you can think of that might help. I usually make red wine kits and this white is a first for me. Thanks, Lynn

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Keep it simple ,1/2 grated zest of a grapefruit no white parts.
Oak tannins and chips in the primary, in the secondary 1 teaspoon of tannins.( less is more theory).
Done. Keep it simple.
Just a 1/4 cupmof oak will do.

Myrum

Junior
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information. Can't wait to try this. I hope it turns out similar to the 19 crimes Hard Chard. I just found it and I love it.
Thanks again.
Lynn

bstnh1

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Keep it simple ,1/2 grated zest of a grapefruit no white parts.
Oak tannins and chips in the primary, in the secondary 1 teaspoon of tannins.( less is more theory).
Done. Keep it simple.
Just a 1/4 cupmof oak will do.
Getting ready to use grapefruit zest for the first time - in a Pinot kit. Do you have to prep the zest in any way other than washing the grapefruit, like spraying it with Kmeta? Is leaving the zest in a couple of weeks during secondary long enough?