Chardonnay - to oak or not to oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Oak or not to Oak

• With Oak

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Without Oak

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Add less

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Abby

Reaction score
I've had some good chardonnay, but I have also had some that is so oaky, you might as well be chewing on a tree.

Most kits, unless stated otherwise, of course, include oak in one form or another.

I am just interested in the preferences of members: put it in, leave it out, add less..?

I prefer chardonnay without oak nowadays but only because I drunk too much mass produced Australian oaked stuff in 90s and grew tired of it!

I would have to say without oak aging. Age in stainless steel or glass. The over "oakieness " is a problem with most of the California Chards. ;)

I've been told the oak gradually lessens over time. Like a year. I wouldn't know I'm knew at this. I'll be lucky if I can wait a year to find out. :h

I oaked a batch last year, I didnt like it but the lady down the street and My Aunt loved it. I did a batch without oak and everyone who had drank it likes it. I have a split batch going right now with out oak in either half. Just experimenting with Yeast and temp. The end answer is it is about personal taste. If you make it and you dont like it save it for topping off carboys at aging for your next batches. Chardonnay tops off everything well

I would prefer to make something other than Chardonnay. Say Gewurztraminer or Riesling.

Steve

Latest posts

Back