WineXpert Chardonnay final gravity question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlev

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am making the Winexpert Sonoma Valley Chardonnay. I may have changed a bit the process. I fermented half with CY3079 and half D254 yeast. Starting gravity was 1.10.
When the gravity was about 1.01 if mixed the 2 together. Now the gravity has been stable at 0.996 for 3 days. Its fermenting at 65F and it has been 2 weeks since fermentation start. I have stirred the lees 2 days ago and yesterday.What should I do? The gravity should drop a bit more right? Im afraid leaving it with a lot of head space would oxidize.I could put it over into a carboy,but usually I like to add KMS at first tracking and that would definitely stop the fermentation at this stage.

What do you guys suggest?

Yep. I'm going with @cmason1957's option 2 - I'm thinking you're done. Rack and top up, dose with KMeta and leave it be for three months. After that, give it a taste. I added a spiral of medium toast French oak and let it sit another three months. Then racked and bottled. Delicious.

(I know it doesn't come with oak and wasn't intended to be oaked. Still, it was about the best chard I've made so far. Thinking I'm due for another.)

Hi everyone

I am making the Winexpert Sonoma Valley Chardonnay. I may have changed a bit the process. I fermented half with CY3079 and half D254 yeast. Starting gravity was 1.10.
When the gravity was about 1.01 if mixed the 2 together. Now the gravity has been stable at 0.996 for 3 days. Its fermenting at 65F and it has been 2 weeks since fermentation start. I have stirred the lees 2 days ago and yesterday.What should I do? The gravity should drop a bit more right? Im afraid leaving it with a lot of head space would oxidize.I could put it over into a carboy,but usually I like to add KMS at first tracking and that would definitely stop the fermentation at this stage.

What do you guys suggest?
rack and sulphite it. If the sulphite isn't too high the yeast may restart. If it doesn't you can sorbate it before bottling so it doesn't go sparkling.

Yep. I'm going with @cmason1957's option 2 - I'm thinking you're done. Rack and top up, dose with KMeta and leave it be for three months. After that, give it a taste. I added a spiral of medium toast French oak and let it sit another three months. Then racked and bottled. Delicious.

(I know it doesn't come with oak and wasn't intended to be oaked. Still, it was about the best chard I've made so far. Thinking I'm due for another.)
Agree, I didn’t add oak, but I agree this is a good one. It is nearly gone, so I also need to make another.

Latest posts

Back