Chardonnay clone & rootsock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
So I ordered some Chardonnay #95, on Riparia rootstock, I also ordered Chardonnay #548 on 101-14.

The #95 is supposed to be much higher vigor than the #548, with the probability of over cropping, so to counteract that I ordered it on Riparia rootstock which I've read reduces vigor. I only ordered 120 of these vines to test them out. I live in a micro-climate inside the Willamette Valley AVA.

Any thoughts?
Should 120 vines fill a normal 59 gallon barrel in an average year? According to my math roughly 100 vines in an average year should fill a barrel.

EDIT: I should mention I'm planting these 5 feet apart, spacing between rows around 6 or 7 feet. We just got a tiny new tractor and I think we can do 6 foot wide rows.

Last edited:
No one? I am interested in this info too.

RIP rootstock should reduce vigor and accelerate the vegetative cycle some or at least "influence" things. For me I am reluctant to use RIP and it doesn't root as deep as 101-14 and I would be concerned in dry summers.

Anyone growing these Chard clones?

Tony

Latest posts

Back