Wine Kitz Chardonnay Chenin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
This is the first time using one the Wine Kitz wines so I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer this question for me . The instruction say to leave it in the bucket for 14 days until the SG is down to .995 or less but usually the kits say to put in the carboy sooner then that . I was planning on using the slurry to make a new batch of skeeter pee but if goes that low I won't be able to use it .I was checking other wines I made and they went into the carboy between SG - 1.010 - 1.000 so do you think it would be ok to do the same with this kit .

If you stabilize before you draw off and get slurry, it wont work. Some kits need the slurry stirred up after stabilizing and clarify. The sg doesn't matter as far as how low you go. The little yeasties are alive in bottom of carboy wait for sugar to come their way. Just draw off a small amount from bottom and start a good batch. now why not just spend a buck and buy a package of yeast?:i

Like Mike said, dont stabilize before racking off and your slurry will be the strongest ever as it will be acclimated to just about anything. Most kits that state to ferment to dry in bucket dont require stirring up the contents to be stirred when done. That yeast colony isnt dead when dont, it has just exhauseted all the sugar in that must. I have used slurry just like this to ferment out many second runs wines for either lighter wines like blushes or just for the purpose of turning this second batch into a grappa or somemthing similiar. It wll do fine and more likely better especially if trying to start a wine that has a stuck fermentation as it is acclimated already to higher abv.

If you stabilize before you draw off and get slurry, it wont work. Some kits need the slurry stirred up after stabilizing and clarify. The sg doesn't matter as far as how low you go. The little yeasties are alive in bottom of carboy wait for sugar to come their way. Just draw off a small amount from bottom and start a good batch. now why not just spend a buck and buy a package of yeast?:i

Because when you start Skeeter Pee it is better to use a slurry from another wine .Using slurries in hard to start wines like the lemon and cranberry makes it much easier to get them going .Of course I'm not going to stablize it before I use it in the Skeeter Pee .The kits that have you stir the sledge from the bottom into the wine to stablize is in the carboy after you take it off the slurry in the bucket .

Latest posts

Back